PDA

View Full Version : Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore ?'s

WatchTimes
22 October 2009, 11:01 PM
OK
I need some help here....
About to do it, I have the 233 sold just waiting on the funds
which are going out overnight mail today.

I am about to get into a Audemar Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.

I am not going with my absolute first choice as I think I have found too good of a deal to pass up and in a recent interview AP made it clear there will be a new variation of the ROO coming out and implied the current ROO will remain... This gives me hope they will bring out the Charcoal dial I love in a SS model so this will get me into the ROO family and I can always upgrade later (isn't that what we all do in one way or another sooner or later anyway?)

So....

1) Does ANYONE have any idea as to what fair market value on a used AP ROO Black Face Rubber Clad is worth?

2) What do you guys think of the ROO? What are your experiences and thoughts (please state if you have or have had one as well.)

Thanks!!!
Oh yes.... If you have/had one please let me know about what size wrist you have, if it was on a strap or bracelet and how you felt about it comfort wise.

BigHat
23 October 2009, 05:38 AM
Not much more to add from the earlier PMs. I think your wrist will accommodate it fine at a tad under 7". I felt the strap more comfortable yet I accept Scott's assessment that his rides well and I don't think he has giant wrists from the looks of his posts? Have you searched on "AP ROO" and looked at the wrist shots from members with them? That might help.

You're right, AP will likely release 5 LE editions and a few models that will be available all over and in bigger numbers. The admired "Bumble Bee" is a mass market model from Basel this year that's nice. Again, more to follow. I have heard the ROO sales are keeping AP rolling, by far their biggest sellers. Anything in the interview regarding that?

Sorry, don't want to potentially mislead you on the used market as I'm not up to speed. You look at used models at Essential Watches or the AP for sale sections?

scottschoe
23 October 2009, 08:42 AM
I have small wrists (around 6 3/4") and the ROO fits ok on me. I first tried on a Safari and my wrist didn't match the damn curvature of the strap so that was a no-go. The steel bracelet initially didn't really fit either until we adjusted the links.

Note that the bezel will pick up dings very easily, although I imagine the rubberclad doesn't suffer from this problem.

Comfortable? The bracelet is very solid....one could almost compare it to a wrist bangle. I wouldn't call it COMFORTABLE at first, but it's not uncomfortable either. It feels like part of my wrist after about 8 months of near-daily wear. I have no experience with straps. I PM'd you some other stuff.

WatchTimes
23 October 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks Scott and Matt!
Well if a envelope shows up in the mail today I will be making an offer on a ROO tomorrow!

I am surprised at how quiet this thread has been...

Must not be much AP love here :thinking:

Submarino
23 October 2009, 11:35 PM
Check your PM box. I mailed you earlier. Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday.

Tons of love for AP. You know it.

propedderkustom
24 October 2009, 03:19 AM
When I read the interview with Francois, I did not get the implication that the current ROO would stay. I think he said that the RO would stay the same but the ROO will be updated. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy now - just be aware that they may release something you like soon. Definitely buy from an AD - it's well worth it. If you PM me I can help you with a great AD [and excellent pricing].

As far as fit goes, I have a 7.25" wrist and I think the ROO looks too big. I went with a RO Chrono instead and I haven't looked back!!

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/sinistersurge/IMG_2926.jpg

Submarino
24 October 2009, 09:10 AM
Even better reason for getting the current ROO right now. All current models will be more collectible in MOHO.

WatchTimes
24 October 2009, 01:31 PM
TOUGH time deciding between a used Rubber Clad at a GREAT deal or putting myself out a tad further than I am comfortable and getting the new Silver themes on a bracelet.

I think I am getting the RC at a good enough deal I can wear it for a while an upgrade in a few mths.

Come on guys...
No last minute suggestions other than the ROO?
I want a Sports Watch which stands apart from most....
Sorry in my area the bag boys have Subs (yes the 14 yr old kid had a real Sub date just bought for his Bar Mitzvah the other year)

I am sending in my offer on the ROO tomorrow most likely once the buyer of my 233
confirms delivery of it and says he is happy.

Watches Ive considered
GO Sports Evo Perp Cal - Can't buy it now, only can find them new and I do not think resale will be strong so Id rather wait and buy second hand also even though I LOVE the complications I fear they could cause problems in a sports watch which is supposed to be tough and rugged

VC Overseas - I like the Chrono BUT I only like the new gray dial and it comes in SS with the Ti bezel and when I saw it in person I did not care for it (dial looked great as did the SS just all three together didn't do it!)

GO Navigator - I can't buy a wear anywhere sports watch without a screw down crown. I think its silly to have any non dress watch not set up for a quick dive in the pool or lake.

Rolex Daytona - No Date and it just doesn't do it for me. If I get one it will be a Zenith and I am still kinda strongly considering it as I think its a good long term watch to own.

Fifty Fathoms - I guess I have a love hate relationship with it.... If I had a MUCH larger collection perhaps or if I got a good enough price I could own it for a few mths and sell without losing much Id do it.

IWC - Just nothing in the class I crave

Brequet - Not a sports watch in my mind, when/if I get one it will be one of their amazing complications

Panerai - Love em, will get others just need a step up from Panerai/Rolex

Hulbot - I guess I am missing something, Id rather own a ROO.....

Again I am keeping this under 14 K and ideally buying used.
For the right piece I MAY stretch a tad. Not looking for vintage.
SS is ideal

Submarino
25 October 2009, 12:48 AM
Jeremy, you might want to consider the new IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth with SS bracelet and then buy a rubber strap separately to add some diversity. Look at mine. And it's actually more massive than the ROO. Next to mine the IWC looks slightly sturdier and larger. Now the downside is that there's no 12-hour chrono on it. I say pull the trigger on the ROO rubberclad.

boa2
25 October 2009, 11:30 AM
Go with your heart, Jeremy, and you'll be happy with your choice...no matter what it is.

Looking forward to the pics! :thumbsup:

P.S.--If you haven't yet decided, give Al at Armstrong Rockwell a call. He may be able to get you into your Ti Themes sooner than later.

Spencer
10 December 2009, 09:36 AM
So did you get the Rubberclad....?

WatchTimes
10 December 2009, 09:48 AM
Nope, did not go with the Rubberclad.
Seller was too firm on his price for me and his attitude when I made an offer killed the deal.
He has since contacted me to negotiate but the RC doesn't sing to me and due to his attitude I have no interest in negotiating with him.

Ended up picking up a Milgauss GV, 2 Marathons, and still in the process of working a couple other deal.... John Eaton may be to thank for inspiring me to make my next purchase, we shall see if the seller gets back to me and we have a deal. He is trying to wait for better offers and I am trying to tell him I need an answer so I can move on this or something else.

Spencer
10 December 2009, 09:50 AM
Nope, did not go with the Rubberclad.
Seller was too firm on his price for me and his attitude when I made an offer killed the deal.
He has since contacted me to negotiate but the RC doesn't sing to me and due to his attitude I have no interest in negotiating with him.

Ended up picking up a Milgauss GV, 2 Marathons, and still in the process of working a couple other deal.... John Eaton may be to thank for inspiring me to make my next purchase, we shall see if the seller gets back to me and we have a deal. He is trying to wait for better offers and I am trying to tell him I need an answer so I can move on this or something else.

Cool ma, I think you made a good choice, though the Rubberclad is a STUNNING watch, maybe next time:cheers:

esm
10 December 2009, 11:02 AM
great choice on the GV - it is a stunning watch.

Back to the original topic. I have tried a ROO Volcano a few weeks back - loved the colour combo and looked great in the display cabinet, but wasn't the case on my wrist. I have a 7.25" wrist and the case width it fine, but the height of this thing was a deal breaker. I was heartbroken to say the least. So the saleswoman got me to try the RO on bracelet - much better size and loved the dial. So this is on my top 5 together with a VC overseas automatic.

WatchTimes
10 December 2009, 12:27 PM
VC Overseas Auto & RO are almost the same watch

esm
10 December 2009, 12:38 PM
yep, same but "different" IMO.
AP RO auto is more elegant with a clear display back while VC Overseas auto is more on the sporty side.

Do love the simple dial on both watches.

Spencer
11 December 2009, 03:23 AM
yep, same but "different" IMO.
AP RO auto is more elegant with a clear display back while VC Overseas auto is more on the sporty side.

Do love the simple dial on both watches.

I think the VC would be more elegant and the RO a bit more sporty and rugged, albeit less rugged than a ROO.

argee1977
11 December 2009, 06:29 AM
Ah, you sold the 233 and looked at AP, i did the same and ended up with the ROC.

Have to say, the Offshore is just too big for me, my wrist size is about 6.5" and the ROO was way too large, i know some like the oversized watches but that was the reason i sold the 233, it just wasn't comfortable on the wrist anymore :crying:

But have to say, the ROC fits perfectly and looks fantastic, a real beauty and well sized for my wrist :thumbsup:

http://i49.tinypic.com/nmj81z.jpg

WatchTimes
11 December 2009, 07:13 AM
I don't know...
I just am not crazy about the RO Chrono myself.
As I said in the other thread I just don't care for the date set up.

I really think I would go with the standard VC Overseas before a RO or
RO Chrono. The dial on the VC Overseas is just stunning!

I also just don't know if the RO or VC Overseas are really worth their cost when
you consider the movement inside...

Despite that I do still find myself looking at the VC Overseas over and over....

Too many watches to pick from and I just haven't hit the Mega Millions Lotto yet (enh, guess I gotta buy a ticket to have any chance hunh??)

argee1977
11 December 2009, 08:26 AM
Ah, i kind of got into watches with the Zeniths, so the date being at 4:30 is great for me as i'm so used to it. The movement is a beauty as well, the Frederic Piguet 1185 modified and hand finished by AP with the nice touch of the 18k rotor is lovely, and of course the slimmest chrono on the market, as well as one of the best regarded :thumbsup:

The VC Overseas Chrono was the other watch i was looking at, but i just couldn't choose it over the AP ROC, it just felt a little less well finished, but it's a fantastic watch and if i could have both i would as again it has the same Frederic Piguet 1185 with VC modifications this time, but another lovely 18k gold rotor.

WatchTimes
11 December 2009, 10:19 AM
?

Does anyone know about the crown on the RO and VC Overseas, are they screw down crowns?

Spencer
11 December 2009, 03:16 PM
?

Does anyone know about the crown on the RO and VC Overseas, are they screw down crowns?

Gotcha thinking about the VC now huh...:read:

They are both screw down if I am not mistaken.

WatchTimes
11 December 2009, 03:38 PM
I have always liked the bracelet on the Overseas and I do like the plain dial version.

I wanted to love the new Ti and SS as the dial seemed so sexy in pictures.
In person it really was a let down, the bezel is a scratch magnet waiting to happen (even more the a Ti ROO) and it will stand out more when you scratch it due to being a SS case. The dial which was what sold me on the watch at first in person was just cold and lifeless.

I am really itching to get something new.
I have had a few deals which just have not panned out recently and I can't decide what I want.... The overseas could be nice as I am going on a cruise Jan 3rd and want something nice classy on metal I can wear to dinner or by and in the pool... If I get another AP it will be a ROO, the RO just isn't it to me.

mcoccia
11 December 2009, 04:56 PM
?

The VC OS Chrono has a screw down crown. I assume that the non chrono version is similar.

I choose the VC over the ROC a year ago whilst waiting for a preordered Daytona to show up. I has in KL a few days ago and again played with the ROC and the ROO. Both lovely watches but I found the ROO too large for my 7.5" wrist.

Spencer
12 December 2009, 04:40 AM
I have always liked the bracelet on the Overseas and I do like the plain dial version.

I wanted to love the new Ti and SS as the dial seemed so sexy in pictures.
In person it really was a let down, the bezel is a scratch magnet waiting to happen (even more the a Ti ROO) and it will stand out more when you scratch it due to being a SS case. The dial which was what sold me on the watch at first in person was just cold and lifeless.

I am really itching to get something new.
I have had a few deals which just have not panned out recently and I can't decide what I want.... The overseas could be nice as I am going on a cruise Jan 3rd and want something nice classy on metal I can wear to dinner or by and in the pool... If I get another AP it will be a ROO, the RO just isn't it to me.

I LOVE my ROO. But I will be honest, it is very big and bulky. You are very aware you are wearing it, which isn’t bad, but it does make you more cautious and careful when wearing it, because you don’t want to rub it or hit it on something. That and the bracelet, which is very comfortable, is prone to catching your arm hair and that kind of pulls and stings at times.

Still that being said, I love the watch and would get another ROO in a heartbeat! Albeit, the one I want to the Rubberclad ROO RG, I just don’t have the bucks for that right now:crying:

mingsta
13 December 2009, 11:39 AM
Jeremy, you might want to consider the new IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth with SS bracelet and then buy a rubber strap separately to add some diversity. Look at mine. And it's actually more massive than the ROO. Next to mine the IWC looks slightly sturdier and larger. Now the downside is that there's no 12-hour chrono on it. I say pull the trigger on the ROO rubberclad.

Gotta give some props to the Ingenieur!

Until 3 weeks ago, I'd only ever seen it on the internet and it'd never really stood out to me, it just seemed like a rather plain, steel sports watch.

Then 3 weeks ago I paid my cousin a visit and it turns out that all these years I've known him, he's had a little stash of watches that he'd never felt worth mentioning.

After some prompting, he pulled out his pristine 10yr old Seadweller. Lovely stuff. He also told me about the Seamaster and various other watches that he's got on permanent lone to his pops and father in law.

Then he brings out the ingenieur, I think its the slightly older model with the plain dark blue face. Wow! What a stunner in the flesh! Its so simple yet imposing. Like the bastard son of a Datejust on steriods and an AP RO! I remarked on this and apparently it was designed by the same person who conceived the Royal Oak and Nautilus. Kinda makes sense. Anyway, I'm now a big fan, thanks for sharing those pics.

1000ftSub
13 December 2009, 11:40 AM
Ah, you sold the 233 and looked at AP, i did the same and ended up with the ROC.

Have to say, the Offshore is just too big for me, my wrist size is about 6.5" and the ROO was way too large, i know some like the oversized watches but that was the reason i sold the 233, it just wasn't comfortable on the wrist anymore :crying:

But have to say, the ROC fits perfectly and looks fantastic, a real beauty and well sized for my wrist :thumbsup:

http://i49.tinypic.com/nmj81z.jpg

Thats a really nice watch:thumbsup:

argee1977
15 December 2009, 07:26 AM
It is indeed :clap:

http://i48.tinypic.com/fxsaa8.jpg