Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Patek Philippe Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   My Calatrava 5119j is discontinued. (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=725158)

scarlet knight 14 February 2020 10:54 AM

My Calatrava 5119j is discontinued.
 
Is it unpopular or do I have a collector’s item?

Tony64 14 February 2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlet knight (Post 10374410)
Is it unpopular or do I have a collector’s item?

Neither.

:cheers:

scarlet knight 14 February 2020 11:54 AM

Here is a picture for those who do not follow model numbershttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a2b4dd48e2.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeorge 14 February 2020 06:02 PM

Right now know one wants a yellow gold dress watch. SS wr 100 m sport watch is top dog.

myporsche 14 February 2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony64 (Post 10374480)
Neither.

:cheers:

:rofl::chuckle:

htc8p 14 February 2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlet knight (Post 10374410)
Is it unpopular or do I have a collector’s item?

non sense that is a classic that will still be relevant until the end of time

directioneng 14 February 2020 06:38 PM

A very nice model that can be worn either side up.:thumbsup:

NoVaSubowner 15 February 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeorge (Post 10375231)
Right now know one wants a yellow gold dress watch. SS wr 100 m sport watch is top dog.



Spellcheck and pontificate much?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scarlet knight 15 February 2020 02:19 AM

That is my thinking!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by htc8p (Post 10375263)
non sense that is a classic that will still be relevant until the end of time

I liked this watch when I first tried it on ten years before I bought it/could afford it. Glad I bought it while it was still available as a new model.

dbfagan 15 February 2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlet knight (Post 10374410)
Is it unpopular or do I have a collector’s item?

Yes and no. As long as you dig it, it really doesn’t matter. Either way, it is a fantastic dress watch:)

Tony64 15 February 2020 07:22 AM

The original 3919 was a long running classic and was synonymous with the Patek brand long before the current entry level steel sports frenzy.

James D. Malcolmson, watch enthusiast and Robb Report contributing editor, had this to say about the Patek Calatrava 3919:

"The most recognizable Patek Philippe, this member of the classic Calatrava family is not a Patek Philippe design per se. In the early 1980s, when the brand was seeking a more effective print advertising campaign, Geneva ad man Rene Bittel suggested creating an image of a watch that would represent Patek Philippe’s prized heritage and understated sensibilities. The rendering displayed a crisp dial with Roman numerals, a gold hobnail bezel, and a distinctive small seconds hand. Patek Philippe president Philippe Stern wisely instructed the company’s watchmakers to create a real timepiece that corresponded to the ad. That watch, the Ref. 3919, quickly became the brand’s top seller."

The 5119 is the virtually identical up-sized successor to the long discontinued 3919. Despite the preferences of TRF community at large, both were extremely popular and sold in sufficient numbers that I doubt either will ever reach collector's item status - but that in no way diminishes their significance in Patek history. I suspect that will endure long after the Patek sports watch fervor fades.

:cheers:

myporsche 15 February 2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony64 (Post 10376848)
The original 3919 was a long running classic and was synonymous with the Patek brand long before the current entry level steel sports frenzy.

James D. Malcolmson, watch enthusiast and Robb Report contributing editor, had this to say about the Patek Calatrava 3919:

"The most recognizable Patek Philippe, this member of the classic Calatrava family is not a Patek Philippe design per se. In the early 1980s, when the brand was seeking a more effective print advertising campaign, Geneva ad man Rene Bittel suggested creating an image of a watch that would represent Patek Philippe’s prized heritage and understated sensibilities. The rendering displayed a crisp dial with Roman numerals, a gold hobnail bezel, and a distinctive small seconds hand. Patek Philippe president Philippe Stern wisely instructed the company’s watchmakers to create a real timepiece that corresponded to the ad. That watch, the Ref. 3919, quickly became the brand’s top seller."

The 5119 is the virtually identical up-sized successor to the long discontinued 3919. Despite the preferences of TRF community at large, both were extremely popular and sold in sufficient numbers that I doubt either will ever reach collector's item status - but that in no way diminishes their significance in Patek history. I suspect that will endure long after the Patek sports watch fervor fades.

:cheers:

Well said

scarlet knight 15 February 2020 12:57 PM

Very nice comments!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony64 (Post 10376848)
The original 3919 was a long running classic and was synonymous with the Patek brand long before the current entry level steel sports frenzy.

James D. Malcolmson, watch enthusiast and Robb Report contributing editor, had this to say about the Patek Calatrava 3919:

"The most recognizable Patek Philippe, this member of the classic Calatrava family is not a Patek Philippe design per se. In the early 1980s, when the brand was seeking a more effective print advertising campaign, Geneva ad man Rene Bittel suggested creating an image of a watch that would represent Patek Philippe’s prized heritage and understated sensibilities. The rendering displayed a crisp dial with Roman numerals, a gold hobnail bezel, and a distinctive small seconds hand. Patek Philippe president Philippe Stern wisely instructed the company’s watchmakers to create a real timepiece that corresponded to the ad. That watch, the Ref. 3919, quickly became the brand’s top seller."

The 5119 is the virtually identical up-sized successor to the long discontinued 3919. Despite the preferences of TRF community at large, both were extremely popular and sold in sufficient numbers that I doubt either will ever reach collector's item status - but that in no way diminishes their significance in Patek history. I suspect that will endure long after the Patek sports watch fervor fades.

:cheers:

I treasure my Calatrava! Not going anywhere as long as I’m still kickin’.

jeorge 16 February 2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner (Post 10375771)
Spellcheck and pontificate much?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I didn't know we had a forum member who thinks he's the grammar and sensor police !:bartmoon:


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:02 AM.