Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Rolex Discussion (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Question on Cost (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=676267)

ctanase 21 May 2019 04:54 AM

Im looking to replace the damaged dial, hands, and bezel of my Red Rolex submariner 1680. Any thoughts on of the cost to do it? And whod you recommend to put it all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much would it cost to replace my Vintage Rolex Red Submariner 1680 Dial, Bezel, and Hands?

I just inherited this shell of a watch and I want to complete it

- Corey

Tom1675 21 May 2019 07:04 AM

Not sure what you mean. It doesn't have anything but the case and maybe a bracelet? If it does, post some pics and you'll get lots of opinions...

If it doesn't have any parts you're looking at a project. There's also this option- https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ervice+red+sub

Dan S 21 May 2019 07:13 AM

Maybe he wants to replace service parts with originals. Or damaged originals with service parts. Or damaged originals with better originals. Hard to know from the OP.

ctanase 21 May 2019 07:24 AM

The Dial, the Hands, and the Bezel are so damaged my father threw them out. I just have a shell of a watch right now and I need to get those parts to complete it.
Any idea how much that would cost?

Juhuatai 21 May 2019 07:40 AM

Pics please.

HarryLime 21 May 2019 08:09 AM

It might be more economical to buy a whole new red sub from somewhere.

Dan S 21 May 2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctanase (Post 9653989)
The Dial, the Hands, and the Bezel are so damaged my father threw them out. I just have a shell of a watch right now and I need to get those parts to complete it.
Any idea how much that would cost?

There are two ways to do that: the cheap way using authentic service parts or the expensive way using period-correct parts. Why way do you want to do it?

ctanase 21 May 2019 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Dan S;9654251]There are two ways to do that: the cheap way using authentic service parts or the expensive way using period-correct parts. Why way do you want to do it?

Whats the price for each?

Tools 21 May 2019 10:33 AM

The value of a Red Sub is the original dial, hands, and insert.

Send it in for service and Rolex will replace those items with the latest white dial components for a few hundred bucks.

Trying to find a proper Red dial would cost many thousands of dollars.

Boaters 21 May 2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryLime (Post 9654090)
It might be more economical to buy a whole new red sub from somewhere.

Sounds like this might be the way to proceed :cheers:

zapokee 21 May 2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctanase (Post 9653520)
Im looking to replace the damaged dial, hands, and bezel of my Red Rolex submariner 1680. Any thoughts on of the cost to do it? And whod you recommend to put it all together?

Be aware that changing these parts will have a significant negative effect on its value. Post a photo of it here so that the community can advise you appropriately. :thumbsup:

oysterquartz17000 21 May 2019 11:51 AM

Its a bit of a minefield. The parts really have the match the same year the watch was made right? Some people just go down the service parts route. It dont know, it looks like a staggeringly expensive process.

Styles Bitchley 21 May 2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tools (Post 9654478)
The value of a Red Sub is the original dial, hands, and insert.

Send it in for service and Rolex will replace those items with the latest white dial components for a few hundred bucks.

Trying to find a proper Red dial would cost many thousands of dollars.

Sorry, but service dial, insert and hands plus labour will be more than a few hundred bucks. Thats if any RSC would touch what sounds like a case with only a movement?

Vintage red dials as parts are scarce and when they do come up good examples seem to run more than $10k.

Dan S 21 May 2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley (Post 9654891)
Sorry, but service dial, insert and hands plus labour will be more than a few hundred bucks. Thats if any RSC would touch what sounds like a case with only a movement?

Vintage red dials as parts are scarce and when they do come up good examples seem to run more than $10k.

The incremental cost beyond the high price ($800?) of a service would probably only be a few hundred USD, but I agree it would be interesting to see how RSC would react to a watch with so many missing parts.

zapokee 21 May 2019 02:18 PM

I'm smelling fish here...

alwayshere 22 May 2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapokee (Post 9654965)
I'm smelling fish here...

Agree and coincidentally there is a red sub case with movement on an auction website atm too

exador 23 May 2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshere (Post 9658505)
Agree and coincidentally there is a red sub case with movement on an auction website atm too

The one from vintagewatchparts98? Hes an established seller with extensive inventory.