Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Rolex Discussion (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rolex Day Date ref. 1803 (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=702739)

cwdubya 12 October 2019 08:15 AM

Rolex Day Date ref. 1803

I picked this up this gray dialed Rolex 1803 DD this week (seeing dates corresponding to the serial number from 1969 to 1973), and I put it on a black strap with a gold buckle, and thought it looked pretty great. Definitely photographs well, and the wide boy markers and hands are really neat. I actually prefer having it on the leather strap, as opposed to the President bracelet. I got it with some limited paperwork/booklets, the exposed clasp President bracelet, box, and outer cardboard box. I bought another contrasting stitching burgundy strap, and a medium brown crocodile strap that I'll pair it with too. It came on a medium brown suede strap, but I don't think it looks as good on a less dressy strap like that as it does on the others.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/gUiEi57.jpg[/IMG]

I was looking for a nice watch for a big life event coming up soon, and thought the DD might fit the bill. Prior to this one, all of my watches were solidly in the budget category. I had lusted after a Rolex for a while, but I hadn't ever bought one. My uncle got an Air King several years ago, and traded that in recently for a Datejust. I guess I always had eyes for the Day Date. I'm undecided as to whether this one will be part of my permanent collection, or if I'll trade it or sell it in search of a JLC Reverso or a Cartier Tank, just because I'm sort of a square watch guy when it comes to dress watches. Anyways, I hope that you guys like this one :)

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/dNrlVRZ.jpg[/IMG]

SubMarine 12 October 2019 08:34 AM

A day-Date without the band is not a day-Date. That said, that’s a very rare wideboy dial you have, congrats.

BisonHead 12 October 2019 08:40 AM

How in gods green earth is it not a Day date???

Its not a President without the band far do's, but you could wear it on a bit of string and its still a DD.

Lovely watch OP, sorry meant to say that.

Redtele58 12 October 2019 10:24 AM

It's a very handsome watch. I like it!

oysterquartz17000 12 October 2019 10:33 AM

Thats how I would wear a day date if I owned one. I would put the bracelet away for safe keeping and wear it on leather.

JustinK 12 October 2019 12:12 PM

That is a very nice combo, congrats!

:cheers:

Verdi 12 October 2019 03:42 PM

Very nice!
I also prefer the 4 digit DD on leather! Beautiful dial!

Paul 12 October 2019 04:54 PM

A great watch fella ...

... and certainly nice on leather.

Umm ... what's happening to the strap at the 6 o'clock lugs ? :thinking:

Quick edit : Perhaps I'm seeing one of those sliding pin activated spring bars* where the strap has a split in it to access the pin thingee. I only became aware of those recently, a very clever way to keep strap tools away from the lugs on a nice watch (sensible too on a precious metal case with no lug holes). Thinking out loud here - perhaps I'm wrong .

* Dunno what the proper name is.

Verdi 12 October 2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 10050171)
... and certainly nice on leather.

Umm ... what's happening to the strap at the 6 o'clock lugs ? :thinking:

Quick edit : Perhaps I'm seeing one of those sliding pin activated spring bars* where the strap has a split in it to access the pin thingee. I only became aware of those recently, a very clever way to keep strap tools away from the lugs on a nice watch (sensible too on a precious metal case with no lug holes). Thinking out loud here - perhaps I'm wrong .

* Dunno what the proper name is.

Yes, they are cool. Minimize the risk of risking the lugs. Had them on a vintage Omega.
But it is usually on the back of the strap and not visible from the front.

I wish aftermarket strap manufacturers would make more straps with cuts for this kind of pins.

mountainjogger 12 October 2019 10:52 PM

Nice. I am not a fan of the Pres bracelet and like the leather!

offrdmania 12 October 2019 11:10 PM

Be careful OP, using stainless steel spring bars on a soft gold case can oblong the spring bar holes in the case over time. I wrote up a whole thread about it and included part number for the correct gold spring bars that Rolex made for use in a leather strap.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=656334

swish77 13 October 2019 03:21 AM

Very sharp-looking, classic DD. I actually prefer them on leather. Nice pick-up.

Tom1675 13 October 2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BisonHead (Post 10049269)
How in gods green earth is it not a Day date???

Its not a President without the band far do's, but you could wear it on a bit of string and its still a DD.

Lovely watch OP, sorry meant to say that.

X2 and nice piece OP. Thanks for posting!

miamiclay 13 October 2019 07:14 AM

Love the grey Wide Boy - Congratulations!

zapokee 13 October 2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offrdmania (Post 10050612)
Be careful OP, using stainless steel spring bars on a soft gold case can oblong the spring bar holes in the case over time.

This! Don't use steel spring bars on a gold watch. :crying:

Wahlberg 13 October 2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubMarine (Post 10049256)
A day-Date without the band is not a day-Date. That said, that’s a very rare wideboy dial you have, congrats.

What's the point of your remark? It's BS and no one cares.

A lot of bracelets are shot after all these years.

cwdubya 15 October 2019 04:10 AM

Thanks all for the kind words. The quick release spring bars were new to me also a couple of months ago. I didn’t even know it was an option for watch straps, but they are nice and quick when you’re wanting to match shoes and belts and all that. The ‘pin’ that you’re seeing there is just exposed because it’s the way that I had to prop it up for the photo, it’s back in a normal non-visible position when it’s flat. I know that the President bracelet is exceptional, but I feel leather really can bring out the dial color and make it ‘pop’, particularly white dialed DD’s, and I think also with this one. I like the flexibility and dressiness of it on leather in particular. It’ll definitely get more wrist time on leather than on the bracelet, for me anyways! :)

offrdmania – I appreciate your comment and thanks for pointing me to your thread! I’ll have to source those spring bars.

bluemartinifan 15 October 2019 04:21 AM

Lots of great strap choices with that beautiful dial :-)

psv 15 October 2019 04:26 AM

Lovely

offrdmania 15 October 2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahlberg (Post 10051827)
What's the point of your remark? It's BS and no one cares.

A lot of bracelets are shot after all these years.

Thats how most of his posts are, just ignore him.

TCU34 15 October 2019 07:24 AM

Looks really cool! Big fan of the leather strap on the DD

nick63 15 October 2019 07:38 AM

lovely looking watch. looks great on that strap

Sublovin 15 October 2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offrdmania (Post 10050612)
Be careful OP, using stainless steel spring bars on a soft gold case can oblong the spring bar holes in the case over time. I wrote up a whole thread about it and included part number for the correct gold spring bars that Rolex made for use in a leather strap.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=656334

Correct! I have Rolex replacement gold spring bars on order right now so that I can put my 1803 on a strap.

Sublovin 15 October 2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

A day-Date without the band is not a day-Date. .

This comment is a big swing and a miss! You might have gotten away with the snarky comment if you had said “President”, but a day date is a day date even if it is just a watch case with no strap or bracelet at all.
Nice try though, and thanks for playing!

onthedial 15 October 2019 09:08 AM

@cwdubya
The 1803 DD is an extremely classy watch. Like others have said, I too prefer this Reference on a leather strap. One thing you might consider is purchasing an 18K gold buckle...it's a minor splurge $ that really completes the watch.
Enjoy! :cheers:

zapokee 15 October 2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

A day-Date without the band is not a day-Date.

Simply not true.

Awesome Day-Date, OP! :thumbsup:

cwdubya 18 October 2019 05:25 AM

Finally had a chance to lay out the straps + the bracelet just for fun today, and I I'm really digging the medium brown one right now. It's been really interesting to see the dial under different lighting and how it works (or doesn't work) with various strap colors.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/rnanTZ3.jpg[/IMG]

BisonHead 18 October 2019 05:33 AM

Not too sure on the suede one, might look different on the wrist as it does dress it down. Could eb a good option for dress down mode. Stealth ha.

Thinking L-R number 2 and number 5 would look sweet. Of course the bracelet is the shazam.

Lovely watch you have there, half the fun is finding which straps you like. Wear it well and enjoy the max.

77T 18 October 2019 06:56 AM

I think you could go casual with the suede and it should go well as a dress watch on the leather for those occasions.

I had a wideboy that was on a strap and it’s a great option.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...67b5d19760.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro