Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Rolex General Discussion (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   after service, crown doesn't screw down flush (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=597888)

zimv20ca 10 April 2018 02:19 PM

after service, crown doesn't screw down flush

1 Attachment(s)
i just got my watch back from RSC and i see that the crown is no longer flush when screwed down. it was flush before.

they did replace the crown and tube, along w/ doing a full factory service. i unscrewed the crown to set the time and screwed it back down, it did indeed stop short of flush.

i'm asking if this is within tolerance or if i should have them fix it.

sorry for the crappy photo, but i think it gets the point across.

Zmdr 10 April 2018 02:27 PM

You should have a 2 year warranty from the service centre. Use it... Perhaps the crown tube wasn't tightened fully

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Tom808 10 April 2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmdr (Post 8471606)
You should have a 2 year warranty from the service centre. Use it... Perhaps the crown tube wasn't tightened fully

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Yes there is a 2 year warranty but that does not look right at all. I would send it back...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Joearch 10 April 2018 02:50 PM

I would not like that

polaris72 10 April 2018 02:51 PM

The quality control got out of control. Send it back.

schoolboy 10 April 2018 02:55 PM

Yep that looks odd.

Cool watch btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaDweller50 10 April 2018 02:56 PM

It wouldn’t bother me but then again I never swim, or shower with a watch on. Not sure if the integrity of the watch, in terms of waterproofness, has been lost, or not.

You 10 April 2018 02:57 PM

That would bother me. I'd have to get it fixed.

RollieRoll 10 April 2018 03:30 PM

Which RSC did u go to? Yes take it back

SkyKing31 10 April 2018 03:39 PM

The crown would screw down flush before service, and now it won't. You should send the watch back to Rolex and ask them to correct the problem ASAP

Rolex.c6 10 April 2018 03:54 PM

Doesn't look ok

adg31 10 April 2018 04:35 PM

Doesn't look right to me if that is fully screwed down, I'd be sending it back if it were me.
There seems to be a few RSC 'issue' threads coming up these days, has something changed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frakis 10 April 2018 04:47 PM

I would send it back. The crown should be flush with the case.

Devildog 10 April 2018 04:52 PM

The crown should not touch the case when screwed in. There should always be a small gap, but that looks too big a gap to me.

padi56 10 April 2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frakis (Post 8471864)
I would send it back. The crown should be flush with the case.

Not true the seal is in the crown and not metal to metal contact with the case.This is why you should only screw the winding crown just finger tight.In general if crown screws tight against the case the seal is worn or damaged.

Frakis 10 April 2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padi56 (Post 8471969)
Not true the seal is in the crown and not metal to metal contact with the case.This is why you should only screw the winding crown just finger tight.In general if crown screws tight against the case the seal is worn or damaged.

Thank you for the clarification Peter. "Flush" was the wrong word choice.

SeaDweller50 10 April 2018 06:54 PM

And given that information from Peter is the reason it wouldn’t bother me.

zimv20ca 10 April 2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

To clarify, the gap in the photo is dead on correct? Or perhaps close enough? And you would not take it back in, yes?

zimv20ca 10 April 2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollieRoll (Post 8471726)
Which RSC did u go to? Yes take it back

Toronto RSC. I can get there easily enough and picked it up yesterday. This is how the watch was when handed to me, i.e. there was no shipping stage where it could have gone wrong.

directioneng 10 April 2018 10:03 PM

Also interested to know.

westsiderkg 10 April 2018 10:25 PM

crazy they would send it back like this. seems like there are more qa issues of late?

enjoythemusic 10 April 2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Feel the crown being a bit out is fine where she is right now after service and here's why.... The new seals are probably why it sticks out a bit for now. Give it a year or five and bet it'll be a bit more flush.

If the crown is fully flush against the case, that might mean your seals are near/at their end-life. JMHO.

zimv20ca 10 April 2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmdr (Post 8471606)
You should have a 2 year warranty from the service centre. Use it...

yes, they presented me with the card, a carrying case, and a polish cloth.

i was planning to give the watch a couple weeks to settle in and then i was going to ensure it's keeping time w/in spec. if not, i'll bring it back.

77T 10 April 2018 11:23 PM

after service, crown doesn't screw down flush

Quote:

Originally Posted by padi56

Peter’s correct - and if it helps, see the illustration I marked up for readers below.

The red highlighted o-ring is what he mentioned - note how it gets compressed in the “screwed down” position. Even stopping one-half turn short of bottom would seal the crown.

If it bottomed out completely, you could have a failed o-ring as Peter noted.

As for the gap you are asking about - the green highlighted space is how the crown should stop slightly short of the case itself.

Now if that space is greater than the nominal gap (and I can’t really measure the photo) then perhaps an oversized o-ring was installed in the new crown.

Or perhaps the tube wasn’t fully seated to compress against the case washer. This last possibility could compromise your water resistance. If you are unsure then consider this - the watch surely was pressure tested by RSC after the overhaul. So I believe this isn’t likely.

I just can’t tell for sure from that photo. But as you can plainly see, the various o-rings would still be protecting your movement from water. If you’re worried, send it back for peace of mind.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e581cbf5b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GreatScott 10 April 2018 11:41 PM

Yep, mine has a gap due to o ringshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1cd8126d3d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

siempreko 10 April 2018 11:46 PM

At least follow up and ask the RSC if you should bring it back in.

enjoythemusic 10 April 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77T (Post 8472504)
Now if that space is greater than the nominal gap (and I can’t really measure the photo) then perhaps an oversized o-ring was installed in the new crown.

Or perhaps the tube wasn’t fully seated to compress against the case washer. This last possibility could compromise your water resistance. If you are unsure then consider this - the watch surely was pressure tested by RSC after the overhaul. So I believe this isn’t likely.

Great post and thanks for the excellent image too! The OP's watch should be fine :cheers:

sheldonsmith 11 April 2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 8471869)
The crown should not touch the case when screwed in. There should always be a small gap, but that looks too big a gap to me.

Yes correct. All the sport models have the crown not flush with the case, unlike the Datejust models. The Datejust modems have a slight flat spot milled into the case for the crown to rest/seat. This is not the case with all the TripLock models, and Twinlock models when used on a sport/professional line case.

It does look a bit excessive but if it passes the pressure test, you’re good.

brandrea 11 April 2018 12:30 AM

I guess I’m not seeing it, but that looks ok to me. As Peter stated there should be a gap between the crown and the case.

Swatz 11 April 2018 12:32 AM

It sacrifices practicality if it does not add any functionality because adjusting the time is an extra step, you now have to unscrew instead of just pulling out.