Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the Coronavirus outbreak thread (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721835)

77T 28 February 2020 12:09 AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-case-n1143996

Problem is when one individual can make a mistake (like refusing to test a patient) and the consequence is contagion spreads. Hopefully this case was contained - but next case may not be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patton250 28 February 2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beshannon (Post 10411728)
Please explain? :thinking:

Please explain what? That the media takes every opportunity it gets to destroy the economy? Apparently youíve never been to Florida or the southeast during hurricane season. Every time a storm even thinks of hitting the United States the media takes the time to scare the living crap out of everybody and business comes to halt sometimes for an entire month depending on how slow moving the storm is. Now they finally have a ďcrisisĒ that could conceivably hit the entire country and you think they wonít take advantage of that? Try turning on the news right now and see what the main stream media is doing. Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media. More people will probably get struck by lightning this week in the US then have this virus yet they have made it sound like the world is coming to an end. Read this very thread. Please explain????? Good grief. Sorry. Rant over.

The media is poison.

SMD 28 February 2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10411956)
Please explain what? That the media takes every opportunity it gets to destroy the economy? Apparently youíve never been to Florida or the southeast during hurricane season. Every time a storm even thinks of hitting the United States the media takes the time to scare the living crap out of everybody and business comes to halt sometimes for an entire month depending on how slow moving the storm is. Now they finally have a ďcrisisĒ that could conceivably hit the entire country and you think they wonít take advantage of that? Try turning on the news right now and see what the main stream media is doing. Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media. More people will probably get struck by lightning this week in the US then have this virus yet they have made it sound like the world is coming to an end. Read this very thread. Please explain????? Good grief. Sorry. Rant over.

The media is poison.

I am not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, other than to say that if you think the "market" is being lead around by the nose by the "media", you are very mistaken. There are real earnings hits going on right now, and that has nothing to do with what is being reported on the news. Airlines canceling tons of flights -- you think they are doing that because of what was reported on CNN? Japan just canceled school for all children for at least the next month. Is that because of what was on MSNBC last night? It goes on and on. The market is focused on earnings, and how this will impact those earnings, nothing more.

To paraphrase something I am sure you are familiar with -- the market does not care about your feelings on the media.

mgsooner 28 February 2020 12:42 AM

Today:

-Japanese PM has asked all schools to close for a month

-A woman in Japan has tested positive for a second time after recovering from her first illness:

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Philip Tierno Jr., Professor of Microbiology and Pathology at NYU School of Medicine.

Tierno said much remains unknown about the virus. “I’m not certain that this is not biphasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease appears to go away before recurring.

-The DOW dropped 500 points at open

Patton250 28 February 2020 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMD (Post 10412006)
I am not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, other than to say that if you think the "market" is being lead around by the nose by the "media", you are very mistaken. There are real earnings hits going on right now, and that has nothing to do with what is being reported on the news. Airlines canceling tons of flights -- you think they are doing that because of what was reported on CNN? Japan just canceled school for all children for at least the next month. Is that because of what was on MSNBC last night? It goes on and on. The market is focused on earnings, and how this will impact those earnings, nothing more.

To paraphrase something I am sure you are familiar with -- the market does not care about your feelings on the media.

All those reactions are happening precisely because of whatís happening on the news. Exactly that. It always does. We can agree to disagree. That doesnít make you right. :cheers:

envuks 28 February 2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412019)
All those reactions are happening precisely because of whatís happening on the news. Exactly that. It always does. We can agree to disagree. That doesnít make you right. :cheers:



This isnít a situation where your beliefs override the facts of how the stock market works. Your beliefs are incorrect, inaccurate, and seemingly uninformed. Iím sure it doesnít feel that way, as youíve learned this way of thinking somewhere. Itís always hard to be the misinformed party regardless of subject


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patton250 28 February 2020 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by envuks (Post 10412035)
This isnít a situation where your beliefs override the facts of how the stock market works. Your beliefs are incorrect, inaccurate, and seemingly uninformed. Iím sure it doesnít feel that way, as youíve learned this way of thinking somewhere. Itís always hard to be the misinformed party regardless of subject


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See I think youíre 100% wrong. This is how it always happens. We have some sort of event, the media hypes it up and business suffers. Insulting me personally is not going to change that fact. :thumbsup:

You being from New England I think he would understand this because of the way snowstorms are handled now. Perhaps youíre young and think the way snowstorms are reported today is the exact same way they always have been. Well since I grew up in Maine I can tell you itís not. Itís hilarious watching the panic stricken reporters flip out every times 6 inches of snow comes and they act like itís the end of the world. This affects business significantly. The same thing happens in Florida with hurricanes every single time. Did I mention it happens every single time? So insults about ignorance of the stock markets is not going to help your case. Iíve developed my opinions through observation. Many years of it. The stock market reacts to media hype plain and simple. Iím sure itís based off of what they think is going to happen businesswise of coarse but regardless it always starts with a news report.

gnuyork 28 February 2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10411956)
Please explain what? That the media takes every opportunity it gets to destroy the economy? Apparently you’ve never been to Florida or the southeast during hurricane season. Every time a storm even thinks of hitting the United States the media takes the time to scare the living crap out of everybody and business comes to halt sometimes for an entire month depending on how slow moving the storm is. Now they finally have a “crisis” that could conceivably hit the entire country and you think they won’t take advantage of that? Try turning on the news right now and see what the main stream media is doing. Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media. More people will probably get struck by lightning this week in the US then have this virus yet they have made it sound like the world is coming to an end. Read this very thread. Please explain????? Good grief. Sorry. Rant over.

The media is poison.

Really, the media takes every opportunity? To destroy the economy?? Don't think so...

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better being safe than sorry. It it weren't for the news, I'd have no idea. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Patton250 28 February 2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10412093)
Really, the media takes every opportunity? To destroy the economy?? Don't think so...

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better safe than sorry.

Yeah well get back to me after about 20 years of it. Actually try running a business and get back to me after two years of it. being informed of the hurricanes movement is very helpful, useful and important. 24 seven media coverage exaggerating the living crap out of the situation and causing panic is not. :thumbsup:

Now we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Information good! Hype bad! Pretty simple.

I just noticed you’re from Marietta Georgia. At least that’s what your Avatar says. I absolutely love the way Atlanta reacts for literally 1/4 inch of snow. You folks shut the entire city down. I can’t even contemplate the millions of dollars of lost business revenue when that happens. Another great example of how media can take something very small and make it very large.

beshannon 28 February 2020 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10411956)
Have you been watching the stock market? That has all been caused by the media.

I'm sorry I was trying to read what you wrote and have a conversation.

Good luck. :bye:

Knappo 1307 28 February 2020 01:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread needs some love, my grand doggies......

Attachment 1113477

Oscar and Frankie are chillin...

Patton250 28 February 2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beshannon (Post 10412109)
I'm sorry I was trying to read what you wrote and have a conversation.

Good luck. :bye:

No worries. Every so often I forget how smart you are. I apologize. :bye:

envuks 28 February 2020 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412073)
See I think you’re 100% wrong. This is how it always happens. We have some sort of event, the media hypes it up and business suffers. Insulting me personally is not going to change that fact. :thumbsup:



You being from New England I think he would understand this because of the way snowstorms are handled now. Perhaps you’re young and think the way snowstorms are reported today is the exact same way they always have been. Well since I grew up in Maine I can tell you it’s not. It’s hilarious watching the panic stricken reporters flip out every times 6 inches of snow comes and they act like it’s the end of the world. This affects business significantly. The same thing happens in Florida with hurricanes every single time. Did I mention it happens every single time? So insults about ignorance of the stock markets is not going to help your case. I’ve developed my opinions through observation. Many years of it. The stock market reacts to media hype plain and simple. I’m sure it’s based off of what they think is going to happen businesswise of coarse but regardless it always starts with a news report.



It seems to be a modern phenomenon where a person with misinformation believes they’re being insulted when in fact they’re only being corrected. Trying to help you because you’re statements are non-factual, opinion, based on your own unique life experience. You’re not incorrect about the snowstorms and hurricanes, however the way you made the parallel to the media / market is factually not correct.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnuyork 28 February 2020 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412105)
I just noticed you’re from Marietta Georgia. At least that’s what your Avatar says. I absolutely love the way Atlanta reacts for literally 1/4 inch of snow. You folks shut the entire city down. I can’t even contemplate the millions of dollars of lost business revenue when that happens. Another great example of how media can take something very small and make it very large.

I from NY state, and live in Marietta and on the Georgia coast... I still don't agree with you on the news being over hyped. A snowpocalypse in Atlanta (even if only an inch of snow) is a very different thing to a snow storm up north. One year, a storm hit and people were stuck for well over 24 hours in their car on the highway...The news and/or state govt. was blamed for not preparing people for this one... so the next one gets the coverage, as it should. I was lucky that when that hit, I left early from work and it took 1.5 hours to get home, which is normally a 15 minute drive for me. My wife not so lucky. So I'm glad you love the way Atlanat works... you are one of those that is so set in your ways, that nobody else can be right... OK fine...


so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412105)

Now we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Indeed!~

cop414 28 February 2020 01:40 AM

Looks like Watches and Wonders, formerly SIHH has just been cancelled. I’m not sure if this has been posted here yet or not.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...o-coronavirus/

mcnealstash 28 February 2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMD (Post 10412006)
I am not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, other than to say that if you think the "market" is being lead around by the nose by the "media", you are very mistaken. There are real earnings hits going on right now, and that has nothing to do with what is being reported on the news. Airlines canceling tons of flights -- you think they are doing that because of what was reported on CNN? Japan just canceled school for all children for at least the next month. Is that because of what was on MSNBC last night? It goes on and on. The market is focused on earnings, and how this will impact those earnings, nothing more.

To paraphrase something I am sure you are familiar with -- the market does not care about your feelings on the media.

Amen brother.

Knappo 1307 28 February 2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cop414 (Post 10412145)
Looks like watches and wonders, formerly SIHH has just been cancelled. Iím not sure if this has been posted here yet or not.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...o-coronavirus/

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727666

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=727645

Patton250 28 February 2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10412136)
I from NY state, and live in Marietta and on the Georgia coast... I still don't agree with you on the news being over hyped. A snowpocalypse in Atlanta (even if only an inch of snow) is a very different thing to a snow storm up north. One year, a storm hit and people were stuck for well over 24 hours in their car on the highway...The news and/or state govt. was blamed for not preparing people for this one... so the next one gets the coverage, as it should. I was lucky that when that hit, I left early from work and it took 1.5 hours to get home, which is normally a 15 minute drive for me. My wife not so lucky. So I'm glad you love the way Atlanat works... you are one of those that is so set in your ways, that nobody else can be right... OK fine...


so...



Indeed!~

That was a massive ice storm in Atlanta you are referring to that would also shut down any northern city. I was a part of that. Good try though. :cheers:

cop414 28 February 2020 01:42 AM

Thanks Jason, I hadnít seen those yet. :banghead:

Patton250 28 February 2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by envuks (Post 10412129)
It seems to be a modern phenomenon where a person with misinformation believes theyíre being insulted when in fact theyíre only being corrected. Trying to help you because youíre statements are non-factual, opinion, based on your own unique life experience. Youíre not incorrect about the snowstorms and hurricanes, however the way you made the parallel to the media / market is factually not correct.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your statements but I disagree I am misinformed. Flights are being canceled and businesses shut down because of the media hype plain and simple. If you disagree with me thatís fine. There is no reason at this point in time for any business to be affected in the United States other than some shipping difficulties we might have with China. Those same difficulties were happening two weeks ago yet the stock market didnít crash then. Why? Iíll tell you why because the United States media had not hyped it up yet. :cheers:

Knappo 1307 28 February 2020 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cop414 (Post 10412151)
Thanks Jason, I hadnít seen those yet. :banghead:

:thumbsup::cheers:

gnuyork 28 February 2020 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412150)
That was a massive ice storm in Atlanta you are referring to that would also shut down any northern city. I was a part of that. Good try though. :cheers:

And what's your point with this, regarding hyped news trying to destroy the economy? In this case the news snd/or state govt. didn't do enough and people were stranded... doesn't matter if it was an ice storm, snow storm, hurricane, virus outbreaks, declining stocks. The news is to inform, and if you think it's hyped, it's a matter of perception. News cycles run as long as there is relevant news to report. Don't watch it 24/7 if you choose not to.

Always right you have to be, get the last word in type. Love it.

Art 1 28 February 2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10412093)
Really, the media takes every opportunity? To destroy the economy?? Don't think so...

I'd rather be informed of a pending hurricane, and be prepared for it than to to be completely ignorant. I happen to be living on the coast when the very thing you described happened this summer... Big hurricane news, and then... nothing... But I left town (and enjoyed a beautiful weekend in Kentucky Bourbon country) and I felt better being safe than sorry. It it weren't for the news, I'd have no idea. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Itís clear to me that the media, most of it, would love to see the economy crash in the next few months. They have been hoping for it the last few years.

superdog 28 February 2020 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 (Post 10412112)
This thread needs some love, my grand doggies......

Attachment 1113477

Oscar and Frankie are chillin...

Always love your style.

Always.

Pantheon 28 February 2020 02:18 AM

Keep downplaying this virus and the exact thing will happen to the US like how the Chinese government tried to downplay it.

The media can overhype anything but in this case safer is better

mykii 28 February 2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykii (Post 10409839)
Scientist here (but not a virologist, so YMMV).

H1N1 refers to hemagglutinin type 1 and neuraminidase type 1. It is a classification system, derived from proteins found on the specific virus strains. Hemagglutinin typically will help binding to a host cell, and neuraminidase will regulate the viral release from host cell.

The coronaviruses are a little different given that they typically originate from an animal source, and "novel" coronaviruses have never been detected in humans before. This typically means a novel exposure method or, more commonly, the mutation of a strain that increases properties regulating the infection probability of humans.

This coronavirus is specifically scary because 1) there is no first-line defense (i.e. vaccines), meaning that 2) more people are vulnerable, and this is bad because 3) the symptoms appear to be quite severe, and respiratory in nature, which can lead to death.

While influenza kills tens of thousands of people a year, that is expected so it isn't news. They are also typically vulnerable populations, and if nothing else there are vaccines to help minimize risk and economic vulnerability.

With a novel virus like this, there are no defenses so everyone is vulnerable, and the only way to contain an outbreak is to shut everything down. If that happens in a first-world economy, the economic outlook may trickle and be severe. Fear of the latter is what we're seeing now in the markets.

:cheers:.


Quote:

Originally Posted by snowvapor (Post 10410998)
Very informative, thank you.

I do have 1 question though. You mentioned that coronavirus are novel, therefore there is no front line defense, as in vaccines. When H1N1 appeared initially, there was no vaccine for it, a vaccine wss only created afterwards. Are we not in the same situation as the pandemic H1N1 then in 2009 ?

I'm not a public health expert, virologist, or MD specializing in this area, but my presumption is that this novel coronavirus is particularly nasty in the severity of the respiratory symptoms it can produce. The doctors involved in its initial discovery even died from it. And they were not "old", or a particularly vulnerable population outside of their occupational risk.

There is probably good answers here, but I found this quick tid-bit with a quick google from a scientific study looking at another coronavirus strain and H1N1 in the scope of diabetes, which may be completely coincidental but also interesting given the respiratory features of this particular novel strain.

Quote:

Compared to MERS-CoV patients, subjects with H1N1 exhibited 3-fold lower frequency of cardiovascular diseases
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5206772/

It will take at least a year to get a vaccine to market, as well. So spread is inevitable.

Patton250 28 February 2020 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10412233)
And what's your point with this, regarding hyped news trying to destroy the economy? In this case the news snd/or state govt. didn't do enough and people were stranded... doesn't matter if it was an ice storm, snow storm, hurricane, declining stocks. The news is to inform, and if you think it's hyped, it's a matter of perception. News cycles run as long as there is relevant news to report. Don't watch it 24/7 if you choose not to.

Always right you have to be, get the last word in type. Love it.

I agree with you. However I donít watch the news 24/7 for all the reasons Iíve been stating. I have been financially affected every single hurricane season for the last five seasons or so because it keeps getting worse every year. If you choose to ignore that I have zero problems with that. But that doesnít mean itís not happening. I guarantee the media will hype this up and try to crash the economy. Thatís my opinion and Iím entitled to it. Meanwhile whatís important is the people who are being affected by this now.

Patton250 28 February 2020 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantheon (Post 10412270)
Keep downplaying this virus and the exact thing will happen to the US like how the Chinese government tried to downplay it.

I appreciate you making my point for me. Do you work in the media? :-)

Pantheon 28 February 2020 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10412283)
I appreciate you making my point for me. Do you work in the media? :-)

Nope and that shows how biased you are making assumptions like that. Feel free to keep your head in the sand

Knappo 1307 28 February 2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10412264)
Always love your style.

Always.

Right back at ya, Seth. :cheers:


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:46 AM.