Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the Coronavirus outbreak thread (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721835)

pickettt 9 February 2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10359820)
CDC is political.

:thumbsdow

I agree wholeheartedly.

Though I don't pretend to know how long a virus remains infectious at a given temperature on a given surface.

Fat_ninja 9 February 2020 09:57 AM

Farrkk guys. Stats spiked overnight

https://i.imgur.com/qv5kvpX.png

GoingPlaces 9 February 2020 10:13 AM

I would not be surprised if the numbers in China were significantly higher than reports indicate.

Fat_ninja 9 February 2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingPlaces (Post 10360232)
I would not be surprised if the numbers in China were significantly higher than reports indicate.

It likely is. But logically if the fake numbers spike the real numbers are even worst

Koolpep 9 February 2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10359820)
CDC is political.

:thumbsdow

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Damn.

Thank you! Thatís what I was looking for.

Crucial to know! Which means many more avenues the virus can spread via. Terrible news.

greggsiam 10 February 2020 01:48 AM

I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.

Fat_ninja 10 February 2020 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggsiam (Post 10361761)
I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.

Iím not sure itís blown out of proportion. Sorry to see the racism tho.

I mean itís literally halting The Chinese economy. Given port closures, city closures... if it was not a concern and a run of the mill flu or cold. These measures would not be this drastic. If they didnít make this a big deal it would be a lot worse than it is now. Contagiousness of the disease is a pretty big issue given they donít actually have a vaccine. Comparisons to the flu are kind of silly in my mind as one is a known and treatable disease, while the other is aggressively expanding.

They are currently treating it with an AIDS cocktail similar to SARS.

Token74 10 February 2020 02:20 AM

Be careful of the racism comments, itís not really racism. People are being understandably cautious, and thatís no bad thing. But itís not about Chinese people. Itís about people in China, and thatís a massive difference when it comes to the racism discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EEpro 10 February 2020 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Token74 (Post 10361825)
Be careful of the racism comments, itís not really racism. People are being understandably cautious, and thatís no bad thing. But itís not about Chinese people. Itís about people in China, and thatís a massive difference when it comes to the racism discussion.

The difference between ethnicity and nationality has been blurred in the USA. Calling a Chinese National "Chinese" will get you fired from your job.

LandWatch 10 February 2020 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEpro (Post 10361869)
The difference between ethnicity and nationality has been blurred in the USA. Calling a Chinese National "Chinese" will get you fired from your job.

Sorry, why would it get you fired? Please help a non-American understand! If the person is a Chinese national, surely theyíre Chinese? In the same was Iím a British national and therefore would welcome being known as British, for example?!

Thereís so much about the US that goes way beyond my head! A few posts earlier, apparently the CDC is political :thinking. Science seems to be political :thinking:

Fleetlord 10 February 2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggsiam (Post 10361761)

2% fatality is pretty high

Cryten 10 February 2020 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleetlord (Post 10362007)
2% fatality is pretty high

2% is a CDC number. For some reason they're down playing this, and taking China's numbers as fact, and if we learned anything from the SARS out break, it's that you can safely add several zeros to any numbers coming out of China.

The Lancet published a study showing an infection rate of 85% and a fatality rate of 15%

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

And in a Chinese news conference Wang Gouqiang (infectious disease expert at Peking University Hospital) tried to make it sound promising when even his numbers put it nearer 17%

This is clearly more serious than is being admitted to.

BigBlue1 10 February 2020 07:12 AM

When I went to UPS to ship my Watch to Michael Young in Hong Kong, it was almost denied. Main land China at the time is only taking in aid like medicine, mask etc. Scary situation over there for sure. I wish them all best. It has surpassed severe acute respiratory syndrome from what I understand. I remember when people were freaking over that. Seemed like more panic then.

SeikoBake 10 February 2020 09:50 AM

Hard to tell the difference between fact or fiction these days; did anyone read the headline today “ A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.” ?

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whis...is-over-50000/

Jim Beam 10 February 2020 09:57 AM

Lots of good discussion here. I choose to be in the camp that says that itís not being blown out of proportion and we should remain cautious.

If you look at the actions of the Chinese government then itís worrisome. For example, they recently asked Macau to stop operations and no travel is allowed there. That is a MASSIVE request and one that Iím sure was not made lightly. That does not coincide with the 800-ish deaths reported, it has to lead you to believe that the numbers are much higher.

Fat_ninja 10 February 2020 10:33 AM

Stats hit 40k cases and 900 deaths

WatchLurv 10 February 2020 10:13 PM

Still not scared. Fatality rate is low.

Google John Nicholls. He knows and is not downplaying it.

TheVTCGuy 11 February 2020 01:56 AM

People wearing masks makes me shake my head, false security. I am not a scientist, but know a virus is microscopic. If it survives being airborne, it would travel right through one of those paper filter masks.

pickettt 11 February 2020 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy (Post 10364543)
People wearing masks makes me shake my head, false security. I am not a scientist, but know a virus is microscopic. If it survives being airborne, it would travel right through one of those paper filter masks.

It's a limiter, not a preventer.

edyu 11 February 2020 02:24 AM

Quote:

Mask prevents the wearer from infecting others. It's a good gesture.

A971 11 February 2020 06:19 PM

Over 1,000 deaths now.

Couple clients in Sing enacting or testing BCP (backup procedures) to work from home.

Lot of biz travel in the region on lockdown.

Focus on supply chain disruptions for the moment, but I think the demand side is going to get rocked.

Feels like the level of concern in HK and Sing higher than before.

Stay safe everyone.

swatty 11 February 2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Stops you touching your face which is how a lot of virus get transmitted

WatchLurv 11 February 2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Absolutely right. It wont stop 100%, but the VFE/PFE/BFE (or whatever theyre called) will put at least a roadblock up for the virus.

I personally still don't wear mask as everyone else is wearing. I make sure to wash my hands after having touched public things such as handles, doorhandles, elevator buttons etc. before even considering touching my face.

greggsiam 11 February 2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeikoBake (Post 10362966)
Hard to tell the difference between fact or fiction these days; did anyone read the headline today “ A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.” ?

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whis...is-over-50000/

I hate to post about 4chan, but you never know. There was a 4chan post by a supposed health worker in China. The person said there was a sectioned off 200 room area in one hospital and those were all for pneumonia based corona patients. The worker said the Chinese government was not counting deaths by pneumonia even though it was obviously a result of the virus. They also stated the rooms were being cleared weekly, so that was another 200-400 deaths per week. This was 4chan, so you need to take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

mbalmz 11 February 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

agreeófrom my perspective the mask is just useful bc it stops you touching your face all the time without noticing.

Syed117 12 February 2020 01:02 AM

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Thailand and Singapore.

Majority of people wearing masks at all the airports we went to.

My wife and I wore masks during travel and in any extremely crowded areas like the market in Bangkok. Made sure to wash our hands frequently.

Syed117 12 February 2020 01:03 AM

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Thailand and Singapore.

Majority of people wearing masks at all the airports we went to.

My wife and I wore masks during travel and in any extremely crowded areas like the market in Bangkok. Made sure to wash our hands frequently.

Cryten 12 February 2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A971 (Post 10366334)
Over 1,000 deaths now.

Wuhan, Shenzhen, and now Beijing on lock down because of 1000 deaths?

This is either a serious overreaction, or they're quite a few zeros short.

It's becoming more obvious by the day which of the two is correct.

EEpro 12 February 2020 10:23 AM

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryten (Post 10368279)
Wuhan, Shenzhen, and now Beijing on lock down because of 1000 deaths?

This is either a serious overreaction, or they're quite a few zeros short.

It's becoming more obvious by the day which of the two is correct.

Or the government knows what it really is, and it's about to go viral. Cue The Who.

GradyPhilpott 12 February 2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggsiam (Post 10366597)
I hate to post about 4chan....

4Chan is the last place I would look for facts.

It's amazing how much disinformation they disseminate around the world.

A lot of it is really funny, but then, when the concrete-thinkers get a hold of it, things can get nasty.