Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the Coronavirus outbreak thread (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721835)

Star Ferry 27 March 2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWH (Post 10488074)
Actually to be fair, the sirens are constant even before the coronavirus. I live in manhattan most of my life and sirens don't even bother me because I'm so used to hearing it throughout the day. It's actually less sirens believe it or not since the lockdown started.

I've lived in Manhattan and didn't think it was constant sirens, but yes they were common. I'm not there right now, just relaying what a few friends told me. Their sensitivity to it could be higher these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasoninDenver (Post 10488072)
But how are you feeling???

Hope you are starting on the upslope towards recovery.:cheers:

thanks. Lungs/chest still burning a bit. taking Z Pack, acetaminophen and vitamin C. If still symptoms on Sunday, the doctor said he'll get me a COVID test.

makak 27 March 2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by directioneng (Post 10488054)
I have just watched the Queensland update on the news.

Have they lost the plot?

Have they decided to go with 'herd immunity' as there were crowds at the polls with no noticeable separation?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...rs-experts-say

In any event their borders are closed and time will tell if this was a bad decision.

For the first time ever, I refuse to line up in that madness and vote. You just know it's going to be a complete cluster*&&& tomorrow

swatty 27 March 2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makak (Post 10488248)
For the first time ever, I refuse to line up in that madness and vote. You just know it's going to be a complete cluster*&&& tomorrow

I agree, stay home like they want you to do :thumbsup::cheers:

Rock 27 March 2020 07:38 PM

Wife and I applied for Postal Votes as we had no intention of going anywhere near a polling station which I would regard as a germ-incubator on a similar level to a cruise ship. Apparently more than half of all registered voters have already done so at the pre-voting stations that open weeks before the event.
I would be very surprised if anyone is fined for not voting. I think it will be a case of "any excuse will be accepted".

mountainjogger 27 March 2020 07:50 PM

Interesting article about a white paper on strategies, costs and benefits of same.

It argues that the "surrender" approach would have a higher economic cost than proponents acknowledge and also break the social contract of government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...store-economy/

Stay safe.:thumbsup:

sgwatchguy 27 March 2020 08:33 PM

There must be an investigation into the WHO once the situation improves and the pandemic is behind us. What they knew and when, what they did about it, their shocking deference to regimes and towing the official lines. Their role and charter should be re-examined. When 3Bn are under a lockdown, it means the WHO has failed and the entire leadership especially the director general must resign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawg2 27 March 2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgwatchguy (Post 10488350)
There must be an investigation into the WHO once the situation improves and the pandemic is behind us. What they knew and when, what they did about it, their shocking deference to regimes and towing the official lines. Their role and charter should be re-examined. When 3Bn are under a lockdown, it means the WHO has failed and the entire leadership especially the director general must resign.

I could not agree more. They are broken, that in and of itself is a blinding flash of reality.

sgwatchguy 27 March 2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg2 (Post 10488373)
I could not agree more. They are broken, that in and of itself is a blinding flash of reality.

Iím surprised no oneís calling for their heads. A month back they were objecting to nations putting flight restrictions on China, now theyíre trying to shame countries into crippling lockdowns while praising the Chinese response. That guy needs to go, heís failed miserably and the WHO has no credibility left, at least till the same guys in charge.

Art 1 27 March 2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgwatchguy (Post 10488387)
Iím surprised no oneís calling for their heads. A month back they were objecting to nations putting flight restrictions on China, now theyíre trying to shame countries into crippling lockdowns while praising the Chinese response. That guy needs to go, heís failed miserably and the WHO has no credibility left, at least till the same guys in charge.

Very true, I heard repeatedly how I was from a resist nation for wanting to ban flights from China, Now, I constantly hear I'm from a careless society that is endangering other bordering nations.

DLRIDES 27 March 2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck (Post 10487968)
Exactly.

I'm surprised POTUS hasn't told China to take their debt and shove it.

:werd:

GB-man 27 March 2020 09:36 PM

CNBC reporting UK PM has CV

Dawg2 27 March 2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB-man (Post 10488411)
CNBC reporting UK PM has CV

Just saw that.

joeychitwood 27 March 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsgodiving (Post 10487959)
This must be getting out there because Dr. Birx was asked about it in the press conference today and stated:

"Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion."

She may have been talking about it in the context of ventilator availability. I'm sure it is a hot topic in the medical community right now.

The difference is that my friend and his colleagues are dealing with the virus on the front lines. Birx is discussing this as a politician standing on a stage surrounded by politicians.

jaisonline 27 March 2020 10:14 PM

Published this morning. My wife (a M.D.) told me last month this was likely going on with the test kits.

“ The coronavirus test that wasn’t: How federal health officials misled state scientists and derailed the best chance at containment”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...OTMlcZ-vvM-4jE

djgallo 27 March 2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeychitwood (Post 10488483)
The difference is that my friend and his colleagues are dealing with the virus on the front lines. Birx is discussing this as a politician standing on a stage surrounded by politicians.

The political comments are not necessary.....we ALL want to keep this thread open....

jaisonline 27 March 2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djgallo (Post 10488506)
The political comments are not necessary.....we ALL want to keep this thread open....

Yep. :thumbsup:

I had to briefly lock our COVID-19 topic yesterday on Brickpicker.

77T 27 March 2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock (Post 10488310)
I would be very surprised if anyone is fined for not voting. I think it will be a case of "any excuse will be accepted".

In Australia are you fined for not voting?
Or was that an auto-correct snafu...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patton250 27 March 2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisonline (Post 10488510)
Yep. :thumbsup:

I had to briefly lock our COVID-19 topic yesterday on Brickpicker.

Yet you just linked that hit piece from a remarkably biased newspaper that was written to accomplish one thing?

gnuyork 27 March 2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488520)
Yet you just linked that hit piece from a remarkably biased newspaper that was written to accomplish one thing?

What to give people facts about what's really going on? Bias and facts are two different things.

77T 27 March 2020 10:47 PM

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

If I could reissue an earlier request - please resist the urge to post politically slanted opinions per TRF rules.

Things have been up and down in all the areas where we live - and the urge to rant about officials of this country or that is strong. Please let it go. If you canít let it go, find a Facebook page to rant. But leave it off this thread.

And letís not attack each other either...

We all thank you in advance - no fingers pointed in any direction. The vast majority here have done great - and the Mods have thinned the herd when needed.

:thumbsup: to the Mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GB-man 27 March 2020 10:50 PM

https://media2.giphy.com/media/x0cKl...2a1/source.gif

Patton250 27 March 2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10488524)
What to give people facts about what's really going on? Bias and facts are two different things.

If USA today said the sun would definitely rise tomorrow morning I would be sure we were all doomed. They lost their objectivity years ago. :thumbsup:

Reuters and AP on the other hand still have a small remnant of objectivity left. Iím sure most of you trust their source so Iíll just leave this article right here.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200326232240-2yx1f

gnuyork 27 March 2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488537)
If USA today said the sun would definitely rise tomorrow morning I would be sure we were all doomed. They lost their objectivity years ago. :thumbsup:

Reuters and AP on the other hand still have a small remnant of objectivity left. Iím sure most of you trust their source so Iíll just leave this article right here.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200326232240-2yx1f

lol. Third time using that analogy. OK.:cheers:

Star Ferry 27 March 2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

She made that comment in her capacity as White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, not in the context of delivering frontline treatment.

what political commentary did Joey provide? I don't see any. he used the word "politician" as neutrally as saying "Abraham Lincoln was a politician

gnuyork 27 March 2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Ferry (Post 10488549)
She made that comment in her capacity as White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, not in the context of delivering frontline treatment.

what political commentary did Joey provide? I don't see any. he used the word "politician" as neutrally as saying "Abraham Lincoln was a politician

Thought so too...

Patton250 27 March 2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10488548)
lol. Third time using that analogy. OK.:cheers:

Thank you. :-)

Iíd love to get your thoughts on the article I linked. :cheers:

Patton250 27 March 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Ferry (Post 10488549)

The comment in question quickly dismissed her comments as irrelevant or not accurate mentioning she was standing amongst political leaders and therefore because of this, (at least I took it this way) she had no objectivity.

Star Ferry 27 March 2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488572)
The comment in question quickly dismissed her comments as irrelevant or not accurate mentioning she was standing amongst political leaders and therefore because of this, (at least I took it this way) she had no objectivity.

There are thousands of hospitals in this country, all making rapid decisions. I don't doubt her credibility, but practically how can one person know everything going on. Joey was talking about one colleague at one hospital, who seemed to be sharing information not yet in the public domain

michaelodonnell123 27 March 2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisonline (Post 10488489)
Published this morning. My wife (a M.D.) told me last month this was likely going on with the test kits.

ď The coronavirus test that wasnít: How federal health officials misled state scientists and derailed the best chance at containmentĒ

There are many sides to this complicated situation and the writers of this article simply do not have the ability to gather all the facts because they are not privy to them. In addition, their sources are not properly cited and documented, thus not credible. Very irresponsible journalism.

SkyJuice 27 March 2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisonline (Post 10488489)

“ The coronavirus test that wasn’t: How federal health officials misled state scientists and derailed the best chance at containment”

I remember this tweet from Trump weeks before the whole thing gets blown out of proportion:

“The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!” "

RWH 27 March 2020 11:21 PM

The U.K. prime minister Boris Johnson just tested positive for the coronavirus. Right now only displaying mild symptoms.

Patton250 27 March 2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Ferry (Post 10488579)
There are thousands of hospitals in this country, all making rapid decisions. I don't doubt her credibility, but practically how can one person know everything going on. Joey was talking about one colleague at one hospital, who seemed to be sharing information not yet in the public domain

Well my friend itís basically her job to know everything thatís going on. I suspect her somewhat positive message yesterday was not well received by some people.

gnuyork 27 March 2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488565)
Thank you. :-)

Iíd love to get your thoughts on the article I linked. :cheers:

read your article... if they told me the sun was going to rise tomorrow...:rofl: I'm joking. See what I did there? :cheers:

Patton250 27 March 2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10488599)
read your article... if they told me the sun was going to rise tomorrow...:rofl: I'm joking. See what I did there? :cheers:

:clap::chuckle:

:cheers:

gnuyork 27 March 2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488603)
:clap::chuckle:

:cheers:

Cheers, buddy. Brett, I know we disagree a lot (in this thread), but I am actually routing for you to be right, and hoping many of us are simply over reacting.

GoingPlaces 27 March 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyJuice (Post 10488589)
I remember this tweet from Trump weeks before the whole thing gets blown out of proportion:

ďThe Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!Ē "

We stay away from politics. Quick way to get banned.

Patton250 27 March 2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuyork (Post 10488613)
Cheers, buddy. Brett, I know we disagree a lot (in this thread), but I am actually routing for you to be right, and hoping many of us are simply over reacting.

Thanks my friend. I appreciate that. I said it way back at the beginning of this thread and I’ll say it here again. I really don’t think this is going to be anywhere near the catastrophe the media has made it out to be. In the beginning it was 2 million in the United States would die. Then 1.5 million. Now they revised it down to 80,000–120,000. I’m praying those numbers will be revised even lower than that. I’m still extremely sad to see anyone sick or die. One is too many. I’m also very proud of the doctors, nurses and hospital staff and what they’re doing. Hard-working extremely brave and dedicated people. They all deserve a medal. But then they always have. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingPlaces (Post 10488616)
We stay away from politics. Quick way to get banned.

Indeed instantly. This thread has seen many people banned.

joeychitwood 27 March 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

I didnít think that was a political comment. It pointed out the difference in thinking between two aspects of medicine. We deal with the differences every single day of practice. In good times and bad.

joeychitwood 28 March 2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 10488598)
Well my friend itís basically her job to know everything thatís going on. I suspect her somewhat positive message yesterday was not well received by some people.

Me being one of those people?

MichaelFlash 28 March 2020 12:28 AM

I live in CT. My office is in NYC. One client passed away from the virus a few days ago (had underlying issues, lupus, etc.) another attorney who I had known for 20 years passed away 2 days ago. He was 86 and family thinks he was exposed when he went to the hospital after a fall. So it has hit close to home, however, I am still optimistic that the numbers will not be anywhere near the doomsday predictions...