Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the Coronavirus outbreak thread (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721835)

gtnator 3 February 2020 12:14 AM

Just donít touch your face, youíll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartacus 3 February 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakalwe (Post 10332655)
I’m happy to debate you in good faith but I’m out of here if you’re going to deliberately misconstrue my words. ‘Flu kills 600,000 people per year yet for most people it is mild and self limiting. I’ve had it at least twice and I was fine. Despite the hysteria, coronavirus is likely similar for most. Not all, obviously.

It’s rather disheartening that you see this as a “debate” when the members you are “debating” are dealing with the impacts of the virus. While you likely are casually looking for a reason to be right.

“Just like the flu” ...great, now I guess we can all go get the shot at the local health center....oh wait.

For the members here directly or indirectly affected, I am thinking of you and hope things are resolved soon. I can not imagine being quarantined at home for weeks, and my my city, my country, being shutdown.

RW16610 3 February 2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A971 (Post 10341414)
Hong Kong just closed schools for a month.

Itís getting real...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat_ninja (Post 10341848)
Cases spiked over passed day. 14,628 cases
Deaths 305

SARS was in the 700ís

Oh man, all of this is terrible. I can't imagine what it would be like to be there right now. No idea how people are to get food or other essential items as needed.

gtnator 3 February 2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Putt (Post 10340869)
People will be indifferent and casual about this virus until it hits their backyard. Forget the mortality rate..catching this virus is painful with a long recovery. Not to mention, if you get it, chances are you will infect your family and watch them suffer through it too. Its a big pain in the ass for many reasons including economic and lifestyle.

I've seen it up close and it is causing much chaos in China...which will translate to the world economy. Vegatable prices have almost tripled in the area I live due to price gouging and reduced supply chains. The Chinese gov. has ordered companies to remain closed until Feb. 10 to keep people isolated longer. Yesterday, our provincial government ordered that unless all employees wear approved masks, a business cannot open on Feb. 10th.

There is a shortage of masks in China. China has imported more than 56 million masks and now asking the EU for help getting supplies. I need 80,000 masks to operate for 60 days. We have a 5 day supply. The magnitude of the hit to the economy will depend on how long this virus spreads without confidence in its management. It affect everybody in more ways than a potential mortality rate.

That sucks man. I didnít realize it was that bad. If one gets the virus, what is the typical duration till recovery, assuming a normal/strong immune system? And can you get reinfected??

utc66 3 February 2020 09:06 AM

My wife thought I was silly to buy one month of food (canned and dried) last weekend. If it gets to the point we are asked to shelter in place at least we won’t be one of thousands scrambling to empty shelves at the last minute. Can’t hurt to be a little prepared.

Point break 3 February 2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utc66 (Post 10343509)
My wife thought I was silly to buy one month of food (canned and dried) last weekend. If it gets to the point we are asked to shelter in place at least we wonít be one of thousands scrambling to empty shelves at the last minute. Canít hurt to be a little prepared.

If this situation gets any worse I would be doing the same thing. I get panic attacks when ever something like this occurs

utc66 3 February 2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Point break (Post 10343537)
If this situation gets any worse I would be doing the same thing. I get panic attacks when ever something like this occurs

And to me thatís the point, to not get anxiety, but to calmly be prepared - at least to some extent.

77T 3 February 2020 12:04 PM

I donít think this is a thing to spark arguments. I respect those professionals who are facing the onslaught of cases either on frontlines or in the vicinity.

We are at the start of an odyssey which will exact its full measure of misery for the afflicted, their loved ones and those who are affected by it.

Wuhan is in the crosshairs plus other adjacent provinces with HK & SG at risk. EMEA has reasons for concern and the Americas too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doc Savage 3 February 2020 02:59 PM

This is crazy. I hope the lockdown in Wuhan does the trick.

Laszlo 3 February 2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtnator (Post 10341995)

Or sit on a toilet. Now that they know it can spread via digestive track. Just lovely.

Laszlo 3 February 2020 03:17 PM

This is from the New York Times this morning. It didn’t get a lot of traction, for well, you know why. It’s all very real.

Wuhan Coronavirus Looks Increasingly Like a Pandemic, Experts Say

The Wuhan coronavirus spreading from China is now likely to become a pandemic that circles the globe, according to many of the world’s leading infectious disease experts.

“It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic,” said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...china.amp.html

77T 3 February 2020 04:23 PM

After reading that NYT article I was surprised they think the most vulnerable target is Africa. But when they said over 1 million expat Chinese work there in mining, drilling and engineering, it made sense.

Fleetlord 3 February 2020 05:07 PM

I am concerned about India. Almost the population of China, with only 1/3 of the land and poorer infrastructure and public health facilities.

Even though 70% of population is rural, the others are crammed together with insufficient support. Seems like a nightmare in the waiting.

Fat_ninja 3 February 2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleetlord (Post 10344468)
I am concerned about India. Almost the population of China, with only 1/3 of the land and poorer infrastructure and public health facilities.

Even though 70% of population is rural, the others are crammed together with insufficient support. Seems like a nightmare in the waiting.

I am too and their provinces donít really talk with the central govt the same way.

padi56 3 February 2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 (Post 10329099)
Am I the only one not worried??

Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.

Arcticsub 3 February 2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtnator (Post 10341995)

Or be old, or be very young, or have a house mate who caught the virus, or be immunocompromised, or have heart disease, or have lung disease.

Arcticsub 3 February 2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padi56 (Post 10344685)
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.

Personally, what's worrying me is the fact that seasonal flu has a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Right now Wuhan virus' mortality rate is around 2-3%. That difference, together with it spreading like wildfire, is huge.

3 Putt 3 February 2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

I agree with this. I left China three days ago as my company required me to leave. I am now in Bangalore, India as I have responsibility for our business here as well. There was almost no screening at the airport when I arrived. However, the Indian government banned the export of surgical masks on January 30. So they are anticipating the need.

mountainjogger 4 February 2020 12:58 AM

Too many unknowns. What is true mortality rate? Infection rate? Reinfection rate?

A lot of figures floating out there right now. But I suspect that no one really knows yet.

Laszlo 4 February 2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

I think these are the biggest concerns; poor countries with a high population density. India would be a true disaster. One positive though is that this virus does best in cold dry climates. Also important to note is a pandemic is classified as 2 continents or more. It doesnít necessarily mean the EU, United States, or other countries with ample resources to contain and treat with modern medicine will be be affected In those ranges. What is clear though and this is the biggest concern is pure economics. This situation could easily throw the world back into a 2008 financial crisis or worse and thatís what should be worrying everyone. My hope is this just burns itself out but the damage to economies will just take time and patience to recover fully.

Arcticsub 4 February 2020 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10345223)
This situation could easily throw the world back into a 2008 financial crisis or worse and thatís what should be worrying everyone.

The factory of the world has been brought offline. It's really unprecedented. Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan, all empty streets, even after the Chinese holidays. We're running on fumes here.

WILLIWALKER 4 February 2020 11:42 PM

The Chinese government will never release the actual figures and this is understandable from an economic and public order point of view. It is therefore necessary to multiply all the official Chinese data .. this multiple remains unknown ... maybe 10? or 15?
This crisis is for me also unprecedented and it follows the trajectory of a great pandemic that we could have on a simulator with an imminent slowdown before an exponential rise.
We must salute China's efforts and honor it by avoid panicking, but we must also point the finger at the amateurism of our US/EU governments

beshannon 4 February 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padi56 (Post 10344685)

Some people love to panic

https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/imag...18&w=630&h=354

Spartacus 4 February 2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beshannon (Post 10347900)
Some people love to panic

Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?

GoingPlaces 5 February 2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Still need to consider the mortality rate is 2-3x influenza. So if the same amount of people contract this, the mortality numbers will swell beyond influenza fatalities. Most of these would likely be in China and lesser developed countries.

Still too early to determine if there is panic or not. This thing needs to peak out before that assessment can accurately be made.

beshannon 5 February 2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus (Post 10347916)
Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?

Check the chart, look at the facts. IMHO China is playing catch up and is far more embarrassed than scared.

Laszlo 5 February 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

We canít compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and itís more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

IntenseImage 5 February 2020 01:34 AM

Working for a company with a main office in China, some of the corporate comms make it sound pretty serious, even if the gov over there is suppressing what comes out

77T 5 February 2020 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10347956)
We canít compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and itís more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

Iíd like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Canít really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a yearís worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Laszlo 5 February 2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77T (Post 10348335)
The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

Iíd like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Canít really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a yearís worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

77T 5 February 2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10348877)
Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Fleetlord 5 February 2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77T (Post 10349066)
I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Expertise in helicoptering and virology...thanks for your insights in the current events...:cheers:

Gaijin 6 February 2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Smyth (Post 10333630)

Cruise ships in Japan too. Arriving and not being allowed to disembark. Confirmed cases on board. Those passengers have been taken to local hospitals.

Japan has the highest infestation of confirmed cases outside of China.

On an average weekend I will see 100-200 Chinese tourists at my local Starbucks and adjoining park. That is just in my 30 minutes there. They are bused there by tour buses. The baristas and I have joked in the past that you don't hear Japanese being spoken there.

None last weekend.

Ichiran 6 February 2020 01:12 PM

There's†always influenza related deaths at any single time. Usually the elderly or the weak. If concomittant†infection with coronavirus, then maybe more dangerous.

And unless my mathematics fails me, the mortality rate of coronavirus' 2.5% is higher than the 0.2% of influenza, assuming all the coronavirus mortality rate was reported accurately of course. It should be higher if I were to make a guess.

Laszlo 8 February 2020 05:57 PM

Things that make you go, hmmm!?

The patients hospitalized with 2019-nCoV pneumonia experienced a range of symptoms, researchers report. All but two had a fever, 70 percent felt fatigued, 60 percent had a dry cough, 35 percent experienced muscle pain and 31 percent found it difficult to breathe. Smaller numbers of patients described headaches, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Ten percent of patients had diarrhea and nausea a day or two before developing fever and shortness of breath.

With a low 2% mortality rate, odds of the whistleblower dying, coincidental? Everyone being interviewed has lost a loved a family member.

Things that make you go, hmmm!?

Koolpep 8 February 2020 06:51 PM

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10347956)

Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

Itís currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.

Laszlo 8 February 2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolpep (Post 10358352)
Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

Itís currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.

Actually itís 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus youíll get the same data. Itís not a secret :chuckle:

Koolpep 8 February 2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10358370)
Actually itís 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus youíll get the same data. Itís not a secret :chuckle:

Credible source....?
WHO and CDC say nothing of that sort...

beshannon 9 February 2020 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo (Post 10358370)

:thumbsdow

Quote:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

Laszlo 9 February 2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beshannon (Post 10358929)

CDC is political.

:thumbsdow

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html