Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the Coronavirus outbreak thread (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721835)

superdog 15 March 2020 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilel (Post 10455256)
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

Please read article and if you are in a position of power or influence or are friendly with people that are in power or influence you need to forward to them and they need to take care of this problem ASAP.

We need to close all businesses asap, close border to travellers

Share this with everyone asap

That link doesnít work.

As a business owner, Iíve debated this. But it would destroy me. And the livelihood of all of my team. Fast.

Cryten 15 March 2020 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlington (Post 10454829)
On the UK radio this afternoon I heard the initial strain in China was more dangerous than that which is now in Europe.

From what Iíve just seen coming first hand out of Italy, I wonder if that really is the case.

I listened to an interview with a virologist who said viruses tend to mutate into less deadly forms over time, as killing your host quickly isn't a good survival strategy.

We can hope that's already happening. I've seen 2 strains identified and reported. There must me more mutations by now.

EndlessEight 15 March 2020 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryten (Post 10455306)
I listened to an interview with a virologist who said viruses tend to mutate into less deadly forms over time, as killing your host quickly isn't a good survival strategy.

We can hope that's already happening. I've seen 2 strains identified and reported. There must me more mutations by now.

Sounds about right.

It also seems like exposure level plays into the severity of illness as well.

1st amg 15 March 2020 05:10 AM

Quote:

Please read article and if you are in a position of power or influence or are friendly with people that are in power or influence you need to forward to them and they need to take care of this problem ASAP.

This suggestion is utter nonsense to close all businesses. How would people deal with home problems, plumbing, electrical or roofing emergencies. This would be like those movies of the dark ages, every home is uprooted and destroyed because no one is in business. Ludicrous.

superdog 15 March 2020 05:15 AM

I just heard that cannabis cures this virus.

GB-man 15 March 2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10455470)

:lol:

TheVTCGuy 15 March 2020 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10454567)
Adds some validity, for sure.

But not much substance behind that either.

Either way, the message is a good one. I’m not sure anyone is “laughing” at the hysteria. But anything that convinced people to exercise caution is good.

Just hoping most people will balance caution with sense. So far we are seeing what appears to be a lot of unnecessary hysteria. Ie fighting for toilet paper and such examples.

Very well said Seth, reasonable precautions are definitely in order, but this mass hysteria is ridiculous and a sad representation of the human race. For the love of GOD people, brain-eating zombies are not on the loose, maybe we should hold off selling everything for gold and ammunition and Fleeing to the hills. And when did toilet paper become a cure for a virus? :thinking:

Seibei 15 March 2020 05:44 AM

nm

77T 15 March 2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seibei (Post 10455543)
Interesting. According to the math that means that there are 4000 billion people in China with atypical pneumonia or other causes. Does that make sense to you?
50 million times 80 thousand = 4 thousand million = 4000 billion
The world's population is currently around 7.8 billion....

Let's keep this sane and rational please.

I believe he was referring to the timeframe months ago - before there were many COVID cases counted in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1st amg 15 March 2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Holy crap, I was talking to someone this morning and he said the same thing....Maybe there is some truth to this......Buy weed stocks!! APHA

Chadridv 15 March 2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB-man (Post 10455494)
:lol:

Oh wait, was that a joke? Well I suppose the edible I just consumed will just have to cure a dozen other problems I have :rofl::cheers:

mimo5000 15 March 2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

I'm on it!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SearChart 15 March 2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Holup

I got an once of chronic :smokin:

Seibei 15 March 2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77T (Post 10455560)
I believe he was referring to the timeframe months ago - before there were many COVID cases counted in China.

Yes, mea culpa.

mountainjogger 15 March 2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Language is important.

There is a difference between some businesses having their employees work from home and some retailers like Apple deciding to close stores but still make their products available on line and shutting down "all businesses." Without "businesses" we would not have electricity, food, water, medical care, medicine, and a host of other things we need, not to mention hopefully a vaccine.

Burlington 15 March 2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainjogger (Post 10455621)
Language is important.

There is a difference between some businesses having their employees work from home and some retailers like Apple deciding to close stores but still make their products available on line and shutting down "all businesses." Without "businesses" we would not have electricity, food, water, medical care, medicine, and a host of other things we need, not to mention hopefully a vaccine.

Thatís right - if all business shut down there would be even bigger issues than COVID right now.

Iíve seen some quite disconcerting footage today out of Italy, really feel for the guys over there right now and hope things improve sooner than later.

Even past the people impact, the economic issues this is causing for many will be felt for a while to come.

Doc Savage 15 March 2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Corannabis

threemonkeys 15 March 2020 06:53 AM

I live 3-4 miles from the senior care facility which started our major outbreak in the Seattle area. It’s a bit unreal. Schools closed, many businesses (Amazon, FB, MS, Google) implementing work from home policy. In my family, I’m working from home, two University of Washington college kids have school cancelled, high schooler out of class at least until April 24. My wife works in downtown Seattle. It’s a bit of a ghost town - empty busses, closed restaurants. I haven’t panic-purchased Costco toilet paper. So that’s a sure sign this pandemic will kill me.

77T 15 March 2020 06:53 AM

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

I was able to find the website and have read the long blog post of Tomas Pueyoís. He does not advocate your sentiment to ďclose all businesses asap, close border to travelersĒ. He is calling for business and government leaders to use his modeling tool for decision making and potential actions.

I chose to not fix the link you shared because I believe it is unhelpful. Anyone can go to medium.com and search for Tomas Pueyo.

He does a good job of modeling the math of exponential growth if we fail to act in curbing unlimited domestic travel from COVID-19 hotspots with reasonable speed. But he also presumes no other actions will work - and that death rates grow (when in fact nobody can say that definitively).

But closing all businesses and borders in any country like yours (Canada) nor others will work. In my opinion it is not a reasonable step as it would create unbearable burdens to the entire population.

TheVTCGuy 15 March 2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Youíre kidding right?

SBR 15 March 2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNABOD (Post 10453912)
I flew this morning , I was the only one wearing a mask and everyone and their dog coughing , sneezing , hacking a lung were not wearing anything and barely trying to stop putting it everywhere so I donít have a whole lot of faith in most people.

It sounds like my work environment.:crying:

AzPaul 15 March 2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threemonkeys (Post 10455688)
I live 3-4 miles from the senior care facility which started our major outbreak in the Seattle area. Itís a bit unreal. Schools closed, many businesses (Amazon, FB, MS, Google) implementing work from home policy. In my family, Iím working from home, two University of Washington college kids have school cancelled, high schooler out of class at least until April 24. My wife works in downtown Seattle. Itís a bit of a ghost town - empty busses, closed restaurants. I havenít panic-purchased Costco toilet paper. So thatís a sure sign this pandemic will kill me.

:chuckle: Bezos may have his upper execs working from home, but you can bet your bottom dollar he's still got all the peon packagers, sorters, and delivery drivers working 24/7.

joeychitwood 15 March 2020 07:56 AM

My spouse and 12 of her girlfriends just returned from a ski trip to Whitefish, Montana. They spent 18 hours on a train which started out in Seattle, headed for Chicago. She is planning on laying low here at home for a period of time to see if she gets ill from such a concentrated exposure to people from the US epicenter.

Moggo 15 March 2020 08:03 AM

Iím really hoping UK doesnít go into lockdown, donít think my mental health could take it.....unfortunately itís looking ever more likely [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77T 15 March 2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeychitwood (Post 10455854)
My spouse and 12 of her girlfriends just returned from a ski trip to Whitefish, Montana. They spent 18 hours on a train which started out in Seattle, headed for Chicago. She is planning on laying low here at home for a period of time to see if she gets ill from such a concentrated exposure to people from the US epicenter.

Hoping all goes well for next 3 weeks :cheers:

Seibei 15 March 2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moggo (Post 10455883)
Iím really hoping UK doesnít go into lockdown, donít think my mental health could take it.....unfortunately itís looking ever more likely [emoji3525]

Please don't take such a dim view. Being in lock down just means you should not spend time in close proximity to other people. You can still be in contact with people you share accommodation with, you would already have infected each other anyway, so no point in isolating yourself from them. You can enjoy walks and drives in a car, just as long as you don't get very close to other people. You can go shopping, etc. as long as you take sensible precautions. It is not really that onerous.

Moggo 15 March 2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seibei (Post 10455926)
Please don't take such a dim view. Being in lock down just means you should not spend time in close proximity to other people. You can still be in contact with people you share accommodation with, you would already have infected each other anyway, so no point in isolating yourself from them. You can enjoy walks and drives in a car, just as long as you don't get very close to other people. You can go shopping, etc. as long as you take sensible precautions. It is not really that onerous.

Thank you [emoji1317] Needed that right now , appreciated [emoji1317]

coffeebreak 15 March 2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10455283)
That link doesnít work.

As a business owner, Iíve debated this. But it would destroy me. And the livelihood of all of my team. Fast.

Here you go
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

superdog 15 March 2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleetlord (Post 10453720)
From what I’ve seen and conversations I’ve had with varied personalities, there seems to be more panicking about panicking, than like actual panic...:agree:

I’m sure there are pockets of actual really real freak out, but overall most people are handling the situation itself pretty well.

Is this the real Fleetlord?

Or did someone steal your username. I kid my friend.

But you are usually so pragmatic and grounded in reality. Every supermarket in America is struggling to keep up. Toilet paper has become the new white Daytona.

Even the calm people appear to be panicking.

pickettt 15 March 2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeychitwood (Post 10455854)

My prediction is that sheíll be absolutely fine.

gmh1013 15 March 2020 08:45 AM

We should find out if there is anything to the heat and humidity theory ...its been in the mid 80's and will stay there for the next 10/12 days....I was out in my backyard and im sweating like a pig......its miserable outside today. Since March 1st its been almost summertime in south TX

Kowaco 15 March 2020 08:46 AM

I just talked to an ER doc and he said weíre all going to die

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

superdog 15 March 2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kowaco (Post 10455994)
I just talked to an ER doc and he said weíre all going to die

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts.

chappuy1750 15 March 2020 08:47 AM

Well, that didn't last long.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes....tores-to-close

superdog 15 March 2020 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chappuy1750 (Post 10455998)

So grateful I stocked up.

Uggi 15 March 2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10455988)
Is this the real Fleetlord?

Or did someone steal your username.

The real Fleetlord would not use the word "like" in such a way.

jltait 15 March 2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10456004)

Superdog is playing this right :cheers:

chappuy1750 15 March 2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jltait (Post 10456057)
Superdog is playing this right :cheers:

No kidding. Prepping for the long haul!

JasoninDenver 15 March 2020 09:42 AM

Vail ski resort is now closed till March 22 and, probably, for the rest of the season.

Our local resort,Winter Park, just announced it is closed as well on their website.

Glad to see they are realizing the risks here are just not worth the finances.

gtnator 15 March 2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 10456004)

I hear it sanitizes the throat too.