Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Rolex Watch Reviews (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A month in with the Explorer 214270 MK2 (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=653446)

axnjackson 26 January 2019 12:38 PM

A month in with the Explorer 214270 MK2
 
1 Attachment(s)
A month in with the Explorer 214270 Mark 2 and couldn’t be happier as this watch has taken every second of wrist time. I used to swap time between some vintage Seiko divers but the 6105, 6309 and 7002 will more than likely be heading to the auction block soon. They’re great and all but the comfort level of the Explorer makes it hard to wear those heavy pieces for any reasonable length of time. I guess that’s why I’d rotate them and constantly and swap straps and bracelets. The bracelet on the Explorer somehow feels “silky” on the wrist. I doubt that’s an apt description for Chiclet shaped bits of cold steel draped about the wrist but that’s all I could come up with. It does indeed slide around a bit on the wrist like silk and its sublime. I thought the clasp might be a bit bulky and plain initially but the craftsmanship and ease of use rendered that line of thought useless. It’s comfortable and non-intrusive while desk diving or anything else for that matter. It works great and is perfectly designed.
The watch keeps great time. I set it a minute fast a month ago. Today it was about a second behind time so it’s a tad under 2 seconds a day fast-pretty damned amazing considering I was used to keeping “vintage” time. I’m not a stickler by any means concerning accuracy as ballpark works for me but seeing this degree of accuracy really highlights the precision and care over at Rolex and I like that.
The dial is mesmerizing and highly legible. A quick glance is all it takes to see the accurate time. The lume is lovely and is easily visible all night. The two times I need to get up to micturate each night (cyclist in his fifties) allows me to glance down, see the time and admire the beauty of the lume while stubbing pinkie toes on the way to the bathroom. During horrifically long meetings at work there is nothing better that watching the sweep of the seconds hand moving steadily across that perfect dial to make the time go faster.
The Explorer looks great in hospital scrubs, T’s and jeans or a suit and tie. It also flies under the radar and under a cuff. I’ve worn it while doing wood work, yard work and strenuous TV watching work and it has performed flawlessly. It is a watch for all seasons and all times.
Lastly, I love the fact that I have a 5 year warranty where I can walk into any AD and get the watch taken care of without a fuss if there is a failure of some sort in the next 5 years. The engineering and finesse that went into allowing up to 10 years between service times is assuring as well.
I’ve been lurking in this forum quite some time gleaning tidbits and enjoying the threads…..many a great person and many a turd but that’s how it goes in any forum or social situ…..it’s still nice to catch up here every night, after life.
This one’s a keeper folks…..although… a no-date sub is calling out to me too. Damn you Rolex!

jburson250 26 January 2019 02:04 PM

Excellent review, and thanks for taking time to write it. The Explorer's a superb piece, as is the Submariner.

Best Regards,

Oldfellow 28 January 2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axnjackson (Post 9295397)
A month in with the Explorer 214270 Mark 2 and couldn’t be happier as this watch has taken every second of wrist time. I used to swap time between some vintage Seiko divers but the 6105, 6309 and 7002 will more than likely be heading to the auction block soon. They’re great and all but the comfort level of the Explorer makes it hard to wear those heavy pieces for any reasonable length of time. I guess that’s why I’d rotate them and constantly and swap straps and bracelets. The bracelet on the Explorer somehow feels “silky” on the wrist. I doubt that’s an apt description for Chiclet shaped bits of cold steel draped about the wrist but that’s all I could come up with. It does indeed slide around a bit on the wrist like silk and its sublime. I thought the clasp might be a bit bulky and plain initially but the craftsmanship and ease of use rendered that line of thought useless. It’s comfortable and non-intrusive while desk diving or anything else for that matter. It works great and is perfectly designed.
The watch keeps great time. I set it a minute fast a month ago. Today it was about a second behind time so it’s a tad under 2 seconds a day fast-pretty damned amazing considering I was used to keeping “vintage” time. I’m not a stickler by any means concerning accuracy as ballpark works for me but seeing this degree of accuracy really highlights the precision and care over at Rolex and I like that.
The dial is mesmerizing and highly legible. A quick glance is all it takes to see the accurate time. The lume is lovely and is easily visible all night. The two times I need to get up to micturate each night (cyclist in his fifties) allows me to glance down, see the time and admire the beauty of the lume while stubbing pinkie toes on the way to the bathroom. During horrifically long meetings at work there is nothing better that watching the sweep of the seconds hand moving steadily across that perfect dial to make the time go faster.
The Explorer looks great in hospital scrubs, T’s and jeans or a suit and tie. It also flies under the radar and under a cuff. I’ve worn it while doing wood work, yard work and strenuous TV watching work and it has performed flawlessly. It is a watch for all seasons and all times.
Lastly, I love the fact that I have a 5 year warranty where I can walk into any AD and get the watch taken care of without a fuss if there is a failure of some sort in the next 5 years. The engineering and finesse that went into allowing up to 10 years between service times is assuring as well.
I’ve been lurking in this forum quite some time gleaning tidbits and enjoying the threads…..many a great person and many a turd but that’s how it goes in any forum or social situ…..it’s still nice to catch up here every night, after life.
This one’s a keeper folks…..although… a no-date sub is calling out to me too. Damn you Rolex!

Very good review.
I am pleased to say that I share you feelings on this watch.
A Sub C called out to me too after I had the Explorer for a while.
They are a great pair. :cheers:

RRGHOST1 28 January 2019 08:42 PM

The Explorers simplicity is its greatest asset.

strafer_kid 28 January 2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 (Post 9301453)
The Explorers simplicity is its greatest asset.

Totally...very nice watch!

RtTime 4 February 2019 02:10 PM

Axnjackson and RRGHOST1,

After wearing my Explorer, I certainly share both of your feelings about having the Explorer and the Submariner as a pair of watches. :cheers: I must admit that this is strange because when I initially started looking at the Rolex line it was only the Explorer that appealed to me. However, I now have the feeling of adding on the Submariner. Hopefully I have not come down with the Rolex Acquisition Syndrome. :chuckle:

Rolex fan 61 8 February 2019 02:36 AM

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication......wear in good health and fortune

ReturningSon 8 February 2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 (Post 9331161)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication......wear in good health and fortune

Agreed. the explorer has always had that enviable "less is more" type of aesthetic.

zengineer 8 February 2019 10:14 AM

It's definitely one I'd keep if I was forced to own just a few watches. I'd say an only watch but that's about as unimaginable to me as having just one 'do everything' pair of shoes. I loved the Milgauss's that I've owned because the case is a perfect size for me and I think the LV Sub and BLNR GMT and even the Daytona are great looking watches but they also just don't go well with certain colors or types of dress.

The Explorer goes with just about everything. It's the blue wool blazer of the watch world.

mpv232323 8 February 2019 02:20 PM

Hows it keeping time? Just got one. Running +2-3 a day


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_gray 8 February 2019 07:08 PM

yes this is a sublime watch. anybody could like this watch; a man or a woman, a billionaire or a teenager. it is something special.

great review OP!

Runfar 9 February 2019 06:52 AM

love the explorer and its all occasions manner- glad you are enjoying it and thnaks for the mini review

axnjackson 9 February 2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpv232323 (Post 9332823)
Hows it keeping time? Just got one. Running +2-3 a day


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a just over 2 seconds a day if I leave it on for 24 hours. A tad under 2 seconds if I take it off at night and let it rest crown up.
Pretty solid time keeping.

ferdiep 16 February 2019 05:58 AM

Great owner review - thanks. Looking into the Explorer as potentially my next every day watch.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

axnjackson 16 February 2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferdiep (Post 9353485)
Great owner review - thanks. Looking into the Explorer as potentially my next every day watch.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Its been great. I forget it's on my wrist at times and when I check the time and see that simple, sublime machine on my wrist I get a bit giddy and give it a good stare. It's amazing.

HIGH TIME 3 March 2019 11:55 AM

Thanks for sharing your Mk 2 experience and evaluation. I believe you made the right decision is selecting and buying the Rolex Explorer Mk 2. I just picked up mine yesterday. I cannot add anything to what you have stated about the Explorer's precision accuracy and functionalities. I am forced to admit that the Mk 2 so happens to have impeccable design provenance and quality. It is precisely for these reasons I came to the same conclusion you did and bought the Rolex 214270 Explorer Mk 2.

gordonite 4 March 2019 07:06 PM

Agree on how amazing the Rolex Explorer line-up is, regardless the version. The legibility is its main power, I guess it's the mercedes hands that compliment the design. Compare to the stick hour-hands of the Oyster-Perpetual line, the Explorer tends to be more legible.

Previously I had a seamaster professional with date window, and hesitate to trade-in with the explorer bcoz the lack of date-window, but after a day or two I already well-accustomed with no-date and loving the dial of explorer eversince!

Check 5 March 2019 03:48 PM

Congrats on a great watch! I’m thinking of picking one up myself.

Ricky Rolex 4 April 2019 03:08 AM

Beautiful watch.

I've always enjoyed date models through the years, GMT Coke, Sub & a Datejust so I'm trying to get my head around me having no date (creature of habit!) buttttt your fantastic review & the beauty of this watch is seriously swaying me.

A part of me keeps looking thinking 'is it just missing that little something?' Then I think NO! That's the beauty of it.

Congrats on a fabulous watch. Definitely an underrated star in Rolex's arsenal.

crazymcmichael 4 April 2019 03:17 AM

nice watch !

axnjackson 13 April 2019 02:21 PM

Update:
Watch has yet to stop running as I have worn it every single day. Many of those days I have worn it to bed as I forget to take it off. It has become part of me and might as well be sewn onto my arm. It still keeps time at about +2 or a tad less a day and has some desk diving wear on the clasp. Other than that it is a dream come true. Also, not a single person has inquired about it. Even better.

HandDoc75 17 April 2019 12:05 PM

I had the pleasure of purchasing this watch 2 days ago and I echo all your sentiments. This is an incredibly comfortable and versatile watch. It is equally at home in a suit and tie or t-shirt and jeans. I too like that it "flies under the radar"...this watch is for me to enjoy. I don't see myself getting tired of this one.

-Mark

Ricky Rolex 18 April 2019 07:54 AM

Same as you. Loving it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JePro 18 April 2019 12:10 PM

Now, must have one!!! Great review!

Maxtor 27 April 2019 02:04 PM

Great review. Enjoy the watch!

mimariani 27 April 2019 03:17 PM

GREAT review axnjackson!!!! It's my favorite watch i got, as its so simple and clean. It could easily be a "one and only"...except Rolex just seems to hook me time and time again. ;)
It wears like a cloud on the wrist, so comfortable.

I can relate to the your sub comments as well. I never thought I'd own a sub, but recently bought a 2006 14060m, and love it so much......go for it:).

nan7yo 27 April 2019 08:10 PM

Great review and making me wanna buy one!!

zorinindustries 24 August 2019 12:53 AM

I've had this watch for a week. The best way I've heard it put is that it's a "collection killer." I can see that - really, once you own it, it's all you want to wear! ...and to think I once called it, "Boring." Ha!

yevgeny 24 August 2019 05:08 AM

Great review but one month is definitely not enough. I have myself celebrated more than one year on my wrist (at least 5 on 7 days). Few scratches and one on the bezel but I wear it... it's not a watch that you keep in a safe :)

Oxfordian 25 August 2019 05:05 AM

Glad you like the watch it is definitely on my list of watches to buy, it is such a great looking watch

Steph-paul 26 August 2019 02:12 AM

Great review, I love mine.

derklink 27 August 2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlia0121 (Post 9922237)
I've had this watch for a week. The best way I've heard it put is that it's a "collection killer." I can see that - really, once you own it, it's all you want to wear! ...and to think I once called it, "Boring." Ha!

I agree, it has the potential to be the one and only you need. I just got the Mk1. To me it's the put it on and forget about Rolex. However, since it is so stealthy and under the radar, it makes other SS (Hulk, BLNR etc.) almost seem flashy.

zorinindustries 27 August 2019 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derklink (Post 9929702)
I agree, it has the potential to be the one and only you need. I just got the Mk1. To me it's the put it on and forget about Rolex. However, since it is so stealthy and under the radar, it makes other SS (Hulk, BLNR etc.) almost seem flashy.



Oh, I agree. It’s a tool watch that doesn’t scream Rolex to anyone unless they know rolex. Then it screams, “class.”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pmt2 1 September 2019 02:14 PM

I’ve had Subs,hulks,sd43,blnr,dj41, etc..... and this new explorer I just picked up feels more special than all those! It’s a solid piece of 904l steel that I’m in love with at the moment. I get it now.

ferdiep 1 September 2019 03:12 PM

Great review. The Explorer is definitely a keeper but wait a bit more before you let go of the vintage Seikos. One month may still be honeymoon phase and your Seikos sound like may be good alternates/ relievers of routine at some point.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Rolltide126 7 January 2020 03:07 PM

First Rolex
 
Just added the Explorer to my new but growing collection. I started with Omega so I’ve also got an SMP 300 (blue) and AT (white/orange dial). Im set for the moment but what would be a good next move? Thinking something like a JLC 1548530 or saving up for the rhodium YM. Any suggestions from anyone with a similar collection?


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:28 AM.