Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New admiration for the ROO (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=550492)

kn_watches 23 July 2017 02:15 PM

New admiration for the ROO

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I've been a Panerai/Rolex guy for a while, but recently acquired a taste for the AP. I've tried on various Royal Oaks, but always thought the ROO was too big for me. I had a chance today to try on a pair of Offshore models, and I think I am hooked.

The AD had the new 26400 titanium model, as well as a Silver dial model. I am now considering trading my PAM 335, and possibly my Hulk for this model. The silver dial really sings to me.

I also had a few questions.

1) Do you think the watch looks too big on my wrist?

2) I've noticed that some ceramic bezels have the awesome vertical brush finishing, and some (maybe due to photo lighting) seemed to not have them. Do all the 26400 models have the vertical brushed finish?

3) Are there any differences between the I and J series for the silver dial?

Thanks again everyone.

singe89 23 July 2017 02:25 PM

Welcome to AP. The 44mm looks perfect size on you but you can drop to a 42mm if you think it's too big. There is a difference in bezels. They changed over to a more prominent vertical brushed finish with the I series. I personally like the older version. There is a difference in the SS dials between H series and I think late I series as well when they went from more silver to more white. I had the H series with silver/white dial and non-linear brushed bezel and it was a great watch. Always loved that panda dial. That being said I would go with that Ti 44mm and have the perfect 1st AP.

subtona 23 July 2017 02:31 PM

My two favorite ROOs

:cheers:

kn_watches 23 July 2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singe89 (Post 7775836)
Welcome to AP. The 44mm looks perfect size on you but you can drop to a 42mm if you think it's too big. There is a difference in bezels. They changed over to a more prominent vertical brushed finish with the I series. I personally like the older version. There is a difference in the SS dials between H series and I think late I series as well when they went from more silver to more white. I had the H series with silver/white dial and non-linear brushed bezel and it was a great watch. Always loved that panda dial. That being said I would go with that Ti 44mm and have the perfect 1st AP.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. So did all "I" series have the vertical brushed finish, or did they change the bezel along with the dial?

I also noticed a price difference(msrp) between the Ti and silver dial, with the silver dial being priced more. Any reason for this price discrepancy?

gummy 23 July 2017 02:55 PM

Flip a coin...both are great AP's

Size is good too:cheers:

singe89 23 July 2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 7775847)
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. So did all "I" series have the vertical brushed finish, or did they change the bezel along with the dial?

I also noticed a price difference(msrp) between the Ti and silver dial, with the silver dial being priced more. Any reason for this price discrepancy?

Don't know for certain if it was at the exact same time. They are very subtle changes and it comes down to personal preferences. Just look at the watch on your wrist in different lighting and if it sings to you then you know it's the one.

AP has priced the new 44mms much lower than the old ones. The older anthracite ceramic 44mm I just picked up was priced much higher retail ($42k) than the new black dial model ($32k). The Ti in my opinion should be priced more than the SS. I wonder if this is a way AP is cutting dealer margins again to make the 2nd hand market stronger or if prices are softening.

bluebeamer 23 July 2017 06:36 PM

definitely not too big

i'd choose the titanium over the steel

tyler1980 23 July 2017 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 7775828)
Hi guys. I've been a Panerai/Rolex guy for a while, but recently acquired a taste for the AP. I've tried on various Royal Oaks, but always thought the ROO was too big for me. I had a chance today to try on a pair of Offshore models, and I think I am hooked.

The AD had the new 26400 titanium model, as well as a Silver dial model. I am now considering trading my PAM 335, and possibly my Hulk for this model. The silver dial really sings to me.

I also had a few questions.

1) Do you think the watch looks too big on my wrist?

2) I've noticed that some ceramic bezels have the awesome vertical brush finishing, and some (maybe due to photo lighting) seemed to not have them. Do all the 26400 models have the vertical brushed finish?

3) Are there any differences between the I and J series for the silver dial?

Thanks again everyone.

1. No i think it looks good
2. Yes they do. Its frustrating you can't see it at the AD due to the plastic wrap as its a big part of the appeal, but its there.
3. AFAIK no there isn't, but i don't have that one so i could be wrong besides the fact than the dial color did slightly change from silver to more white.

The Ti is a better option of the two IMO. Pricing is better as I'm pretty sure AP "adjusted" prices when launching the new 44's this year. As the ceramic one is significantly cheaper than the previous ceramic (which they did discontinue) and the Ti came in lower priced than the SS which (i believe) replaced the SS. I don't think the SS is still in production as the pricing makes no sense if it is. If the plan was to offer both, the Ti really should be priced more than SS.

Pic of brushed finish.

watchluxus 26 July 2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler1980 (Post 7776067)
2. Yes they do. Its frustrating you can't see it at the AD due to the plastic wrap as its a big part of the appeal, but its there.
3. AFAIK no there isn't, but i don't have that one so i could be wrong besides the fact than the dial color did slightly change from silver to more white.

The Ti is a better option of the two IMO. Pricing is better as I'm pretty sure AP "adjusted" prices when launching the new 44's this year. As the ceramic one is significantly cheaper than the previous ceramic (which they did discontinue) and the Ti came in lower priced than the SS which (i believe) replaced the SS. I don't think the SS is still in production as the pricing makes no sense if it is. If the plan was to offer both, the Ti really should be priced more than SS.

Pic of brushed finish.

Stunning

HL65 26 July 2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler1980 (Post 7776067)

Pic of brushed finish.

:agree:

Nothing to add except it is an awesome watch. So light, comfortable, and great looking! Go for it...You won't regret it! :cheers:

lapince 26 July 2017 07:15 AM

Not too big, get the TI

AK797 26 July 2017 08:05 AM

Looks fine on you, and all new ROOs have the nice vertical brush, they changed over about 3/4 years ago, I bought my RG 44 last year but there were quite a few rainfall style bezel models for sale at the time but on the older 26400, as opposed to the newer 26401.

kn_watches 26 July 2017 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone. This thread answered all my questions. I'm looking to purchasing my first AP and joining the AP Family.

wach16 26 July 2017 10:53 AM

Definitely not too big on you and it looks awesome...join the AP club!

Chary 26 July 2017 11:10 AM

1. Not big at all!!! go for the new TI!!!

2. Older versions didn't have it, all new ones have it including some H series ( I had both the SS and RG without the vertical polishing)

3. Some say the older dial was whiter vs the new dial looks more silverish

nick c 26 July 2017 12:57 PM

Both are beautiful,I would go silver dial :cheers:

kn_watches 26 July 2017 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again everyone for the comments. I had a chance to check both out again in natural sunlight. Both dials looked much better outdoors compared with the indoors light. The titanium model does feel a lot lighter than the SS. I think for me, the Titanium dial sings a little more now that I've gotten a chance to see them both outside.

HL65 26 July 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 7783168)
Thanks again everyone for the comments. I had a chance to check both out again in natural sunlight. Both dials looked much better outdoors compared with the indoors light. The titanium model does feel a lot lighter than the SS. I think for me, the Titanium dial sings a little more now that I've gotten a chance to see them both outside.

Great choice! :thumbsup:

P2725TMB 26 July 2017 07:50 PM

Ti is the nice. I was going to get one myself but am now keeping my powder dry in anticipation of a Summer Edition instead.

edo 26 July 2017 08:09 PM

Ti is awesome, go for it...

Another thing from slightly dial color changes on the SS is that first series doesn't have silver rings around subdials...

kn_watches 29 July 2017 08:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go with the Ti version and am really happy with the piece. Extremely excited to officially join the AP fam.

HL65 29 July 2017 08:54 AM

Big congrats and great choice...You are going to love it!

Time Collector 29 July 2017 09:05 AM

Congrats!

Hairdude1 29 July 2017 09:32 AM

Congrats!!!

AK797 29 July 2017 11:49 AM

Great choice, well done and doubly so on quickly getting off that condom thingy!

Watcheroo 11 December 2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 7790395)
Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go with the Ti version and am really happy with the piece. Extremely excited to officially join the AP fam.

Congrats! Iím eyeing this model now as well and wondering how youíre liking the piece a few months in?

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kn_watches 11 December 2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watcheroo (Post 8100505)
Congrats! Iím eyeing this model now as well and wondering how youíre liking the piece a few months in?

Cheers [emoji106]

Itís been hard to take off my wrist. It still wears great and is really comfortable. The watch is also very accurate. Go for it. Iíd highly recommend it!

Agustin_Nielsen 11 December 2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 8100640)
Itís been hard to take off my wrist. It still wears great and is really comfortable. The watch is also very accurate. Go for it. Iíd highly recommend it!

If you don't mind me asking, how much cash did you add in this trade? Or did you sell both straight up?

Watcheroo 11 December 2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaster (Post 8100640)

Thanks for the feedback! [emoji106]

mickyd329 11 December 2017 03:40 PM

Congrats. That's a great first AP!