Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum (https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php)
-   Rolex General Discussion (https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No Date Sub Ruins Everything... (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=750029)

Boaters 2 July 2020 06:37 PM

Wear that Sub get a seiko for a beater lifes good.

mac_135 11 July 2020 02:42 PM

Thanks for all of the responses, it is very much appreciated (and sorry I haven't checked back in here for a while).

I have been enjoying the Explorer over the past two weeks as a nice under the radar piece, and honestly haven't worn the Speedmaster at all. Someone commented about a DJ36 - as much as I want to love it (tried multiple times) it just feels so small on my wrist. I am thinking the Sub and Explorer are both keepers for now, and I may sell/trade the Speedmaster for something else. I want a grey dial, and I like to have one piece on a leather strap so I have had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra. Gotta love this hobby... Hope you all have a great weekend.

mac_135 11 July 2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vetracer (Post 10715395)
I couldnít get past the fact that you sold your Seiko SKXís.

You know, I thought it was a really cool watch. It just sat weird on my wrist and I rarely wore it. I am a less is more kind of guy, and I thought I would move it on to justify purchasing something else that I want to wear more often. Seiko has some pretty interesting pieces to fill the beater category, so I will likely pick something else in the next few months.

Hungry Eyes 11 July 2020 07:19 PM

Maybe just try the Speedy on a leather strap? There must be something there as you bought one twice?

Token74 11 July 2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank McKay (Post 10713931)
I know what you mean. The iconic and timeless design of the Submariner. In many ways itís the perfect quintessential watch.

The sub is a very nice watch, but I donít understand the suggestion that it is a timeless design. The current sub looks very different to the previous reference and bears very little resemblance to the original. And Iím pretty convinced the next iteration will see the lugs thinned out which will make quite a difference to the look and feel compared to the current reference.

Timeless for me would be something like the Royal Oak. To the untrained eye, the 15202 looks pretty much identical to the original 5402 from 48 years ago.

travisb 11 July 2020 11:13 PM

Sounds like you need nothing more than the Sub. I wouldn't add anything.

Oyster Sauce 11 July 2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_135 (Post 10739957)
Thanks for all of the responses, it is very much appreciated (and sorry I haven't checked back in here for a while).

I have been enjoying the Explorer over the past two weeks as a nice under the radar piece, and honestly haven't worn the Speedmaster at all. Someone commented about a DJ36 - as much as I want to love it (tried multiple times) it just feels so small on my wrist. I am thinking the Sub and Explorer are both keepers for now, and I may sell/trade the Speedmaster for something else. I want a grey dial, and I like to have one piece on a leather strap so I have had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra. Gotta love this hobby... Hope you all have a great weekend.

I think that youíve actually got a really excellent trio...I would not be so quick to sell the Speedy. The Sub and Speedy are probably top two most iconic watches on many lists (one for Rolex, one for Omega), and the Explorer is a consensus luxury everyday, everywhere watch. Youíve managed to distill it down to an all star threesome - congrats! :cheers:

Napoleon 11 July 2020 11:32 PM

Itís the perfect watch. You could be chasing that dragon a long time.

173rdabn 11 July 2020 11:40 PM

Keep the Sub and bin everything else. No reason to fret over watches you neither like nor wear. Just my two cents.

Xenon 12 July 2020 12:05 AM

Are we debating or dictating?

Plant 12 July 2020 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenon (Post 10716598)
I only wear and own my DJ 36 and although I like and appreciate many other watches, Iíve always wanted the DJ 36, so I just admire and enjoy other watches without craving them. I know that if I buy them, I will end up just wearing my DJ 36. Donít know if that makes sense though.

I feel the same way. I have other watches I used to cycle through, but now if Im not wearing my DJ 36 Im basically forcing myself not to wear it.

Sad that I dont like my other watches much anymore honestly