View Single Post
Old 4 December 2019, 06:25 AM   #102
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
I personally find the implicit condescension toward people who’ve paid over MSRP to be kind of strange.

It’s great that many here have either the means to buy several watches to build up relationships and/or have AD relationships otherwise and/or just get lucky; but many people don’t have the benefit of any of those.

Nothing wrong with just not buying in that case, but I also don’t see what the issue is if someone really wants a particular watch and pays the going rate.

I say this as someone who has purchased watches at, below and above MSRP—I’m happy to save the money when I can buy at MSRP or below, but don’t necessarily feel the need to lord that fact over others, or consider myself smarter or more noble than anyone else because of it.

You know, a lot of people think today’s MSRP is an insane price to pay for a rolex too, but I don’t know if that means we need a bunch of “WHO HERE HAS NEVER PAID MORE THAN $6,500 FOR A SUBMARINER” threads.
There is a bit of this, personally as I get older I find time the most precious resource and not wasting it is important, so I often advise setting a time limit to waiting for an AD to come thru for you and then going grey, both within reason. To dismiss ever going grey when you could be waiting five years to never is the crazier thought process to me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote