View Single Post
Old 2 March 2009, 01:48 AM   #23
bradleyb
"TRF" Member

haven't seen laptop computers mentioned

There are all sorts of sources for magnetization in this modern world.

I have had a watch magnetized by going through a security screening in a government building. As far as computer monitors and flat screens, I doubt that I get my watch close enough for those to make a difference.

BUT, I finally figured out that the recurring source for magnetizing my watches was a laptop computer with speakers mounted at the front, where my wrists rest when I am typing. The watch would build up a magnetic field gradually, until I would notice it running fast. When the watch could "grab" the needle of a compass where the needle would follow the watch 360° around the compass, I would say that was an unequivocal indication that the watch was holding a magnetic field.

Using a compass, I have found where the two laptops that I use have strong magnetic fields and keep my watches away from them.

With all due respect to Vanessa (you rock!), I bought the cheap Swiss de-gausser that Ofrei sells and it works great. Found it needed a 220 volt source to be really effective. And, yea, some people use it to re-magnetize parts, so you've got to know what you're doing. But, for my two cents, and the Milgauss or a Sinn is not in my future, there are so many ways for a watch to be affected by magnetism these days that my little blue job has paid for itself--even though my jeweler does it for free. With just the travel, time, and parking to get there I would say that my de-gausser has paid for itself.

Cheers,

Bradley
Omega GMT 2538.20 - emeritus
bradleyb is offline   Reply With Quote