View Single Post
Old 8 January 2020, 05:46 AM   #58
psv
"TRF" Member

First of all, love everything about this release - apart from the price.

It all comes down to Omega is trying to create a Rolex Daytona of their own - a mythical watch that has general availability but is coveted by collectors and wannabe's which generates years of waiting lists and ability to sell at a premium price. This is Omega's attempt, and it might work.

Given that a regular Speedmaster has a street price of $4,200, even with the big box, asking 3 times the price is a reach, but with all the hype that Omega has manage to create over the last 10 years they will probably be able to pull it off.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the Speedmaster, but growing up it was always the sensible choice. We all knew and respected the moonwatch connection but before Hodinkee, Instagram and watch forums it was all much more sensible. Going back to when I started this hobby in earnest, a Speedy used to be $1,000-$1,200 - always a good choice and respected, but not the type of hype you see today. I miss those days :-)

Oh well, I think this new Ed White checks a lot of boxes, but at that price, you might as well go for the real thing. I've put myself on the list for one at AD, hoping one can score a decent discount - at $14,000 + tax at Omega Boutique I'm not really that interested.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote