View Single Post
Old 7 March 2009, 12:54 PM   #10
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The poster has stated that his watch did not make any noise at all until recently......

I agree with Vanessa, the rotor axle is the weak point on a Rolex, and many that are not serviced routinely wear at the axle causing the self-wind counter weight to wobble when it spins and "nick" the back of the movement at the low point...

This is extremely common and can easily be checked by opening the back and looking to see if any marks show from where the metal to metal contact has been made..

Here is a worn axle.........the red stuff is metal dust (ground metal) the the groove at the small end is where the bushing has dug into the smooth surface from lack of lulbrication.
Correct, it was very quiet, if not silent before. When I shake my wrist, and hold my ear to the watch it almost sounds like the "Heartbeat" speeds up and slows back down, along with the "Ticking" I hear that wasn't there before. Another way to describe the sound is a very small BB that bounces off metal, sounds kinda like that (a ping). The watch is also running 6 mins fast a week, and needs a new crystal and it's time for a service anyway.

For those that know, is this rotor axle usually covered in the standard overhaul or is it one of those extra costs?