Old 10 February 2020, 02:17 AM   #30
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Why?

The pattern is the same.

I think the Aquanaut and Nautilus watches are qualitatively different. Just taking the last 10 years, most of the Nautilus watches have been popular and difficult to acquire. There has always been a wait associated with most of the models, sometimes measured in months and sometimes years, but now they are unavailable to all except buyers with strong AD relationships (and even then the wait can still run to years). Most of the Aquanaut range are recent and have seen their popularity increase since release. However, unlike much of the Nautilus range, outside of the the last 2.5 years, it was not difficult to acquire a 5167/5164. Go back to 2017 even, and they could be picked up at MSRP without huge difficulty. Also, there was no grey market for Aquanauts.

I think the current Aquanaut craze comes straight of the back of the Nautilus range. I think many genuinely want an Aquanaut, realising they are great watches. Their broad popularity is increasing. However, I think many more want them as a Nautilus substitute. The Aquanauts don’t have the Nautilus history behind them, and it’ll be years before they are considered an icon—which I doubt.

They will deflate. It’s just when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote