View Single Post
Old 4 March 2020, 01:00 AM   #141
smohr33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I struggle with this.

Can your lazy portfolio guarantee the same thing?

I am not saying you are wrong. Not by a long shot. But I have done a good amount of research on this. And a lazy portfolio will not be balanced the way a managed portfolio will be.

So far, I have a very reasonable rate of return. Even with the most recent hits. Yes, I pay my fees. But I get a service for that, and again, so far I am satisfied with this service.

I wonder if I should move over to a simply low fee fund. Tony Robbins certainly says I should.

In a challenging time like this, I am grateful for my guy. Watching trends and making changes based on my goals and the plan that we set up. He has access to incredible amount of data and tools that I could not dream of.

Hard to say what is right. My opinion anyway. I suppose it depends largely on the person involved and their own habits and comfort levels.
I own the entire market, at market weight. My returns are what the market provides, and I accept that. The last few years have been very good. There were many years while I had an advisor that my portfolio returned less than the market average.

I rebalence one annually based on my investment policy statement, and am able to completely tune out news such as the last two weeks as I have an asset allocation that I can sleep at night with.

I still own some single stocks in a taxable account that my previous advisor purchased for me, over weighting me in tech slightly, but I've been tax loss harvesting or selling and taking minimal long term cap gains on those to completely eliminate single stocks from my portfolio.

A book I highly recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gu.../dp/0470067365
smohr33 is offline   Reply With Quote