View Single Post
Old 11 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #1413
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Brett, my friend, let me respectfully respond, agree and disagree with you.

Please clarify. Are you talking about (1) Wuhan style barricaded, (2) voluntary self quarantine for those who are sick or who have been exposed, or (3) travel restrictions imposed by countries such as the US.

As far as Wuhan style, my question question to you is what do you think would have happened in China if China had not locked Wuhan down? Same question on repatriations from Wuhan. Should they have been cleared through customs to take a taxi home? Same questions on the cruise ships, should they disembark and go to their family doctor for follow up without any screening?

As far as voluntary quarantines, my question is what do you think would happen if sick people went to work and carried on like normal. It is not uncommon for people to go to work with a cold or a sore throat. Should people who have CV but feel good enough to go to work just hop on the train and soldier on?

As far as travel restrictions imposed by the US, what do you think would have happened if we had not stopped people entering from Wuhan?

My opinion is that failing to even try to contain spread would lead to massive spread of a virus which we understand little and currently have no vaccine. And this would lead to three things.

First, the raw number (not percentage) of seriously sick people would exponentially increase.

Second, the health care system would be overrun. This would mean those persons who got very ill would not get the care they need not to become a mortality static. And this would drive mortality rates up. It would also mean that healthcare would not be available to those who need it for other reasons such as car accidents.

Third, the resulting panic and economic turmoil would make the current situation look like a walk in the park.

Agree and disagree.

1. Many less developed countries have only rudimentary healthcare. They are not prepared.

2. Here in the US I see several problems.

First, the testing fiasco. But now that private industry is stepping in and states are taking a leading role (per CDC) this looks to be improving.

Second, we do not have enough stocks of protective gear for medical professionals and since we outsourced production to other countries it is hard to remedy this.

Third, we do not have enough stocks for citizens of rudimentary cleaning supplies such as hand sanitizer. Where pray tell you buy a bottle? You can't.

Fourth, early on the protocols for testing were contradictory. Test if you were exposed? Or test if you become symptomatic. My own opinion is that this was based on the lack of kits. But who knows.

Fifth, the government gave a contradictory message: It's a serious health issue vs. it's not even as bad as the common cold. This contrary messaging does not instill confidence. And a lack of confidence leads to fear and panic.

These are not end of the world problems. But they would have been easy to remedy.

QUOTE=Patton250;10443748]
I’ve learned to not take the media seriously on any of that. Let me put it this way if NBC said the sun would rise this morning I’d be pretty scared that wasn’t gonna happen.
If you put all media regardless of political persuasion in this category. I agree with you. They exist by and large to turn a profit. No clicks. No profit. But some still try.

QUOTE=Patton250;10443748]
If world government and media are so determined to grind the economy to a halt [/QUOTE]

I agree that nothing sells a click like "DOW tanks." So, the blood in the water syndrome is self fulfilling. But I no not agree that there is a conspiracy to tank the economy by the media. Frankly, I do not think they are smart enough to coordinate ordering pizza, let alone form a functioning conspiracy.

And as far as "world government" I am at a loss to understand who or what body you are taking about. Further, I do not think any world leaders want to see their economy tank.

Personally, I till don't know what to make of this threat. But off to work I go (with my hand sanitizer I purchased in January). Be safe. [QUOTE=Patton250;10443748]

I think you and I are very close on our thoughts toward this. Definitely someone sick should not go to work but that includes a common cold or the flu. It’s just common sense as well as polite. I don’t know how to answer your questions on Quarantine. That’s why I was asking. I have no idea what would’ve happened in China have they not quarantined. I do know the whole planet has this now so it has to be all over China as well. Perhaps they delayed it some? I really don’t know my friend. Either way things are coming down as far as it’s spreading over there. Every news source is saying that so I doubt the Chinese are lying about it.

I also agree with you on the media. I think it doesn’t matter what political persuasion they are they all need to sensationalize things to get more views or Internet clicks. They absolutely also don’t care what that does to the economy. That is my personal opinion on it.

I think I’ve made it clear on this thread what my main concern about all this is and that’s the economy. I realize that’s made some people angry with me because they feel like I’m not caring about the health of people but I promise you that’s just not the case. I believe from what I’ve read and seen this virus is nowhere near as dangerous to the health of the vast majority of people as the media is making it out to be. I believe we won’t even be talking about it a couple months from now. But I also know for a fact what a world wide recession or even worse depression will do to the average working person long term and that my friends will be devastating.

As far as the virus goes we will know if I’m wrong in the next month(s) or so. If I’m wrong then there should be hundreds of thousands if not millions of confirmed sick people in the United States with tens of thousands of deaths. If that comes true then the the damage we are doing to the economy today economy won’t matter and will be the least of our worries. Also I hope everyone knows I absolutely advocate using hand sanitizer, washing hands and staying away from non-sick people. These are common sense precautions that I believe everyone should take anyway to help stay healthy.

I’m glad we are able to discuss this here. Everyone’s been pretty reasonable and I appreciate that. I hope you guys feel I have been also.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250