View Single Post
Old 15 March 2020, 03:18 PM   #73
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeelan View Post
Being where I am, I’ve never had the chance to inspect a GS in person so have always hesitated buying. I’m just wondering if their mechanical movements (spring drive excluded as it stands on its own from an innovation perspective) hv any innovative or uniquely Seiko engineering in them? What is their escapement? Are they a free sprung balance? Is the rotor ball bearing / bi-winding?

Just curious as there doesnt seem to be a lot of technical reviews on the GS mechanical movements - certainly none from watchmakers that I’m aware of.....

Cheers
Jeelan
It's worth looking into the history of Seiko movements, especially Grand and King Seiko in the 1960s-70s. They were more advanced than Rolex even back then. For example, Seiko introduced quick-set dates about 15 years before Rolex, in 1963.

They basically blew the Swiss out of the water in Chronometer competition, and by the end of the 1960s the Swiss were putting up quartz movements against Seiko mechanicals.

This video explains that.

"Seiko at Astronomical Observatory Chronometer competitions - or - How the Swiss lost their honor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=13s