View Single Post
Old 20 March 2020, 07:38 AM   #2879
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
There are quite a few Monday morning quarterbacks here aren’t there?

What I don’t understand is Italy. How can that little country have 1/3 of all the deaths in the world????? They have now surpassed China with the amount of deaths with only half the known cases.
This is how exponential spread of disease works. China was only successful in bringing down numbers with draconian measures. I can assure you that if they let up too quickly, they will see a spike in cases again. I think that's why they are very cautiously releasing the grip on their citizenry right now.

Western countries will take a double whammy. First, many countries in the west are not optimally prepared due to earlier budgetary decisions and lack of personnel with the expertise to address these situations immediately. Second, we can't manufacture our way out of this like China can.

Our opinions on leadership in countries around the world differ. China severely botched the initial reaction when this could have been contained. However, they subsequently did what needed to be done to save lives. The neighboring Asian countries have done a pretty good job, as they wisely maintained their preparedness since the SARS epidemic, and reacted instantly with well thought out plans. The West, not confronted with these challenges for over a century, has failed miserably and still is not on track. We will not know what is actually going on in Russia for a long time, but there is no way they escape this unscathed.