View Single Post
Old 2 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #19
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree. The perception is you either have it or you don't...but there does seem to be a case for viral load exposed to and level of illness.

I am not sure what the data is on that, but you do see doctors and nurses being exposed to a very high concentration and duration of exposure to virus and they can get very very ill..

So, again, my mask crusade does allow mitigation of viral load taken in as there is a barrier to block more virus from getting up you nose...

I don't see a path to balancing without masks for the general public...either commercially produced or homemade. Get something in front of your face holes.
There are current discussions by the CDC on the efficacy of using face masks for the general public. You can search for articles online.

I have a friend in Taiwan, a country that has CV19 under control, explained to me what their country implemented when CV19 occurred. One of their first acts were to put on face masks. In fact, the government provides face masks to its population.

In Taiwan, masks have become a socially acceptable practice after the SARS epidemic. It is so commonplace that people wear them even if you have any signs of being ill (ie., allergies, colds, etc.). People will get upset if you’re coughing and not wearing your mask.

All of this was an anecdote for the use of face masks. The problem in the US currently is the lack of supply of surgical masks. At this stage, all supply should go towards the frontline people (ie., healthcare workers, essential services) who needs them the most. For the rest of the populace, I think some sort of face mask wouldn’t hurt. I think the challenge would be messaging it in a way that minimizes panic and hoarding.