View Single Post
Old 19 April 2020, 09:50 AM   #102
Querbes90
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

my case is related to this thread...It is my first post and I'm really new at this.

I have the opportunity to buy a vintage Rolex 17013 (1979) on Chrono24 in mint condition, which is pretty rare and nowhere to find in Canada. I am dealing with a private seller that never sent a watch abroad. The watch is around 6 200$ Canadian dollars.

Since it is my first time and I'm new to this, I was wondering what was the best way to bring this watch from London UK to Canada. He said he would get the package insured.

I tried to read on various blogs and forums on the subject. I know that I will have to pay duty (5%) + the provincial sales taxes that is 14,75% in Quebec.

With the tool of CBSA, I calculated the fees to be around 1250$ Canadian dollars.

My first question is concerning the best way to ship. By mai like Royal mail or by courier like FEDEX UPS, etc . I know that the courier charges extra brokerage fee-based out of the value of the parcel, so its even more expensive i guess. I think with Royal mail then Canada Post there is a flat fee and it is not based on the parcel value, but is it accurate i dont know ?

My second question is concerning the value. The seller was ready to reduce it just a tiny bit. It's both our first time, so we don't really know. For example, if I buy the watch at 6200$ and he put the value of the parcel at 5 500 $ or around that price? How can someone verify the value of a vintage watch from 1979 (sorry I'm new)? Is it worth it to change the price just a bit or not worth it?

Is there anyone of you that had to deal with this situation or similar situations?

Querbes90 is offline   Reply With Quote