View Single Post
Old 7 May 2020, 09:25 AM   #14
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terppride7 View Post
Completely agree with you all! I dont know if its just me, but I generally feel like the concept of value retention, or using that as a factor when determining your love and enjoyment for a watch is generally seen as a negative thing and is the fine line between a 'watch enthusiast' and 'watch collector' if that makes sense, but might just be me!

Personally, I have bought a couple of Rolex's, but I dont think I will ever be in a point of my life where I can just not take into account the amount of money I spent on one of those watches, unless I win the lottery and money is near meaningless to me. And as mentioned above, knowing that the watch can fetch a decent penny even after purchasing it does help me justify the purchase!

I find this entire topic to be very interesting and love everyone's viewpoints on it!

Good question OP.

Like most here, I buy what I like of course.

But I also know I don't live in a vacuum. And I'd be naive or fooling myself if I said the desirability and market value of a watch has zero bearing at all in my decision making. I'm sure it does. But generally, it's not the biggest of factors.

Additionally, I try to be responsible with purchases (even non-watches). So I feel a bit less concerned knowing that if my family is ever in a situation where we're down to our last dollar, my watches are liquid enough to keep us alive. (Knock wood.) This allows me to indulge a bit more I guess.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote