Thread: Rolex v Omega
View Single Post
Old 25 May 2020, 08:14 AM   #182
legacy404
"TRF" Member

Rolex hits a sweet spot with a classic design/size with their divers at 40mm dia/13mm thickness. Feel like the latest seamaster got too large and bulky, when trends are going the other way.

Like Omega tried to cram so many things into it with the see through case back, larger helium valve, laser engraved dial, new movement, etc, where it just grew to 42mm and strays further from the formula that worked for them. They already have a PO line so why increase the size?

The best seamasters I feel were the Bond era, up to the 2012 ceramic, where they started hitting their stride. You can see this reflected in grey market/used prices where the previous SMPc still commands close to its MSRP whereas the 2018 seamaster is not getting any takers despite all the good reviews and can be had for 3500-3800 on the grey market despite msrp of 5200.

And now these old seamasters are starting to come into their own, at 41mm and only 12mm or so thick, and have a unique blend of toolishness with a bit of flash, in the wave dial and blue bezel. I mean a see through caseback is nice, but I'd rather have a thinner profile. Hopefully Omega releases a more toned down version at a smaller size.
legacy404 is offline   Reply With Quote