View Single Post
Old 8 June 2020, 11:41 PM   #47
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
It is their brand. Meant for the JDM market. Check out the comments section of this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CAraOp-nOK4/
From their Instagram post:
Quote:
Mori is not available as jdm and is only available on www.kuronotokyo.com. Production numbers for jdm are typically 1.5-2x higher due to the larger local market.
Good catch. I always thought 'Chrono Tokyo' was the line of watches that eventually grew to become 'Kurono Tokyo'. I thought they were more like 'first run' / 'prototype' pieces. But their comment here confirms that these are indeed currently in production as well.

In their defense, the Mori is still limited to the 291 and won't make it's way into the Chrono lineup.

Also addressing your point about them keeping numbers limited and yet wanting to fight the flippers. I don't think this is mutually exclusive. They had over 2000+ people in line to buy the Mori, and from what I have understood about their operation, they are definitely not capable of cranking out 2000 pieces in their estimated delivery periods. So it makes sense for smaller establishments to control numbers. They could grow their business to meet the demand, but same can be said of Rolex. It comes down to this - sometimes it's just not worth growing a business to meet a specific / short term demand. Only to be left with incredibly high overheads if things go south.

From what I gather, they are primarily trying to deter flippers. Controlling the price of their watches pre-owned? Not in their control unfortunately. But they can attempt to put their watches in the hands of those who are more likely to use it than resell it, similar to what Rolex does.

I'm not defending them, but I do understand why they're doing what they're doing. And as I mentioned in my previous posts, I don't believe they're primarily doing this to create hype and drive up prices. I believe that is just a byproduct of their current business model.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote