View Single Post
Old 19 June 2020, 04:58 AM   #70
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Patek makes probably the most diverse range of models of any manufacturer so it’s not surprising there are a number of models that don’t appeal to every watch enthusiast. That is good, it is to be celebrated, but it most certainly doesn’t mean no thought goes into designing the pieces ‘you’ don’t like and I am surprised that any lover of high horology can’t appreciate that Patek is such a success because it can appeal to many tastes.
You don’t like it, I understand, enjoythemusic doesn’t like any modern Patek, I don’t understand, but it seems you both feel the need vindicate your dislike with vitriol.
I think the vitriol you're picking up is frustration and anxiety. I'm a huge Patek fanboy. Have the Foulkes coffee table book downstairs in the living room and a stack of Patek magazines. I've just been remarkably unimpressed by the 5212A and now this limited production release. I think they could do so much better and I wish they did. The frustration and anxiety I have is that Patek seems to live off of past glories and is not actually innovating both in terms of design and service and might be on a downward slope to insignificance.
This seem like a cash grab for wealthy brand hoarders to get rid of surplus movements. I know money in this subforum is relative but does this seem like a $28k watch to you? It's almost like the gray market premium is already priced in.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote