View Single Post
Old 20 June 2020, 05:47 PM   #27
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Good discussion brother. It’ll be interesting to see how sales of this watch play out. I would love to have it, I think it’s everything the Speedmaster should be, but the price is a deal breaker for me, and I think it will be for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you 100% as the 14k USD asking price for the Ed White is indeed pretty steep for a SS speedy. The way I see it is that Omega is trying to come up with a “halo lineup”, much like the R8 to Audi. Would that be a cash cow or volume seller as most of other models for the brand? Of course not, but what it does is to lifting the brand image, it’s a PR project if you like to say.

That’s also where most people failed to recognize. Instead they went straight to the stereotype question for Omega: “is it a decent product at a reasonable MSRP with competitive discount?” On this Ed White I believed that I saw their effort of trying to correct that recognition as it has damaged the brand’s value over the years. Nor that they were trying to be Rolex as this doesn’t fit in the brand’s core philosophy, my suspicion here is that they are trying to be that Rolex 10 years ago. Back in those days Rolex was more reasonable and properly considerate to their customers with more balanced product lineups, more accessible variations but not lack of halo products, which is much different than what they are today.
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote