View Single Post
Old 22 June 2020, 01:21 PM   #10
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
It’s a familiar story, but it’s only really been like this in the last few years. Before that the shortage was never this extreme. You can’t expect Rolex to ramp up its production because there’s a sudden hype in Sub, GMT, Daytonas. I know it’s frustrating but it’s market dynamics and for one-off buyers it’s OP, DJ or go grey.

You can usually get a beautiful OP, DJ, Explorer or Day Date as a Crown for an achievement.

I don’t think the shortage affects the brand perception negatively, probably the opposite.

Not sure why people think the ‘AD experience’ makes a difference, it really doesn’t, it’s just the price difference. You can get an empty warranty card at a grey dealer and put your name on it as well.

It’s really like this in my opinion:

1. You want to buy a highly sought-after SS Rolex and are not interested to buy any DJ, OP, Day Date or PM Rolex models

2. You have decided to build a Rolex collection, know what you want, have the $ to do so and want some PM pieces as well as SS pieces

3. You’re a high-roller with private collections and also buy jewelry/watches as presents for family/friends

If you’re in 2 or 3 you can go to an AD and build up the relationship, spend your money etc blabla

If you’re in 1 and cannot wait, you can:

A. buy Grey
B. buy from a trusted seller on TRF
C. have a good friend/family member in 2 or 3 help you out

If you’re in 1 and are not in a hurry/very patient,

D. get on many AD waitlists for the watch you want (drive to small towns, newly opened ADs, privately owned ADs, chain-owned ADs)
E. pop into an AD whenever you see one and enquire about the watch you want
F. Try your luck at airports whenever you travel (ask friends/family members that travel frequently/are in the airline industry)

If you’re upset with Rolex about it, you can move on to PP or AP but afraid it’s the same with sought after models. Or you can go Omega, Panerai or Tag or so but you may still end up wanting that elusive Rolex...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote