View Single Post
Old 11 September 2020, 08:10 PM   #150
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Lovely watch! I've had a similar paralel experience. I have 6" wrists, and have worn a 5066a (36mm) Patek for the best part of two decades. I also have a 36mm Royal Oak, but recently, though no fan of oversized watches, couldn't help but think that I would like a watch a little larger for every day. With three young kids, two dogs and an active life, that meant it had to be hard-wearing, water resistant, and on steel or rubber.

I bought a Rolex BLNR, and though it is a tough beater, and pretty wonderful as a tool, I just can't get comfortable with the 'wearing a Rolex' thing, and get self-conscious.

So the search began. My father has worn a 3800 Nautilus every day for thirty years, and so the logical step was one of the family. I hadn't really been into watches for a while, happy with what I had and only adding a few to commemorate special occasions. When I tried the 5712, and it was perfect, I was shocked at the games I was required to play. I have to admit as well the Nautilus craze has left a rather negative image in its wake. Overseas was too big (though that bracelet is wonderful), as was unfortunately the Journe LineSport which I loved, though its lack of water resistance was another issue. I'm a bit bored of the Royal Oak, find the bracelet on mine uncomfortable (probably why it's only been worn a handful of times in 25 years), and the ultra-thin has no water resistance, so no.

When I walked into the Lange boutique, it was love at first sight, but...

Instead I have placed a deposit for a Czapek Antarctique. I love the look (it seems a modern reincarnation of the VC 222), and though I have no experience of the brand, I have decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They have been so welcoming and forthright - it has been a breath of fresh air to be treated with friendly respect and honesty rather than jumping through hoops, second guessing every utterance, and feeling somehow and ridiculously less...
Thanks for sharing that experience, that was a great and informative read.

Czapek Antarctique - What a choice! The only reason I crossed it off my list was unfamiliarity. It really looks the part. Will keep an eye out for your views on it down the road.

On a more philosophical note, fascinating how life experiences, small habits, likes etc can shape a watch decision.

And that last paragraph is the exact reason I barely ever just get up and go look at watches in shop any more, used to be one of my favourite past times.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote