View Single Post
Old 25 September 2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Hi Dave

Thanks for this.

I was actually thinking about the Speedmaster from the 57 collection. I may have described it incorrectly in my original post. The one I'm thinking about has the three sub dials and a model number of 311.10.39.30.01.001 which I think is a limited edition. I'm curious about what people think of the clasp and bracelet as well as the size.

It's interesting what you say about how easy / difficult it is to read the FOIS, I'd never thought about this before.

Thanks again
Ah yes, the one from the “trilogy”. Yes, it is limited.

I’ve seen one, but haven’t handled it, and don’t own one, so I’ll decline to comment too far.

I don’t personally like the aged lume look. For me it’s all about functionality, and if I had an old watch with lume that brown I’d be sending it back for a service.

I appreciate there is a segment of the market that like the look, same way there are people who like to buy jeans with the arse out of ‘em, but I’m not one of them.

There are some really nice retro designs around right now, that are potentially really usable, but get let down by this brown lume or worse still (Tudor take note) gold markings on the dial!

I think that a lot of makers (in fact most of ‘em) don’t really understand why their older watches are so popular, and they’re releasing these things with aged lume rather than concentrating on the sensible proportions and legible dials that made their original products so desirable!

Having sad that, I think Omega have done this “reissue” better than most other manufacturers. If you’re into Speedmasters and want the “original” look, you’ve got it. Whether I’d go for one, bearing in mind that the regular 57 is basically a retro design anyway, I don’t know.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote