View Single Post
Old 1 October 2020, 12:47 AM   #99
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Thanks very much for sharing these. You and other folks have seen many more of these vintage dials than I have. When I look at the "after" pics you posted, my initial reaction is that the relumed dial looks too perfect. I see no variation/blemishes at all across the lume plots -- not the slightest blemish, discoloration, variation, or imperfection in the lume after 60 years.

Have folks seen other Rolex watches from this era (early 60's 1675 PCG pieces, etc.) with original lume that's so perfectly even-looking? I'm wondering if a (re)lume job like this would arouse the suspicions of a highly trained eye before that highly trained eye knew it was relumed, or if there's literally nothing suspicious about the "after" pics.

As an aside, by way of comparison, I'd love to see what a NOS/NIB 1675 PCG watch would look like, after 60 years, if it had literally never been worn. I'll probably never see that, though!
A picture is worth a thousands words. But for me to personally be 100% sure, I have to see the watch in person to be able to make that judgement. On the other hand, if the watch is being sold by a respected dealer and it's a watch I want, I probably wouldn't think twice about purchasing. Once I have the watch in hand, if I see these consistencies, it may raise a red flag. But then again, all lume ages differently depending on it's environments. tritium/radium. I have seen consistent dials in the past.

It's a combination of dealer trust, education on vintage and gut feeling when you deal with a relume job like this.

If it passes normal tests that collectors and dealers usually use, what else is left to go on?
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote