View Single Post
Old 6 October 2020, 04:42 AM   #111
SherryHenderson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Waterproof Daytona

It seems we get questions about the Daytona and it's waterproof capabilities quite a bit lately.

The Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, with screw down pushers, is waterproof to the same 100m capability of all Oyster Cased Rolexes. The Daytona is waterproof whether the pusher screwlocks are tight or not.

The pushers internal actuation are the weak link for this depth rating and must not be pushed while submerged. To ensure this, screw locks are fitted to each pusher.

The pusher is an assembly that contains it's own internal "O" rings and is screwed into the case with a gasket seal against the case. When the pusher is depressed, it deforms the "O" rings slightly and may allow water to enter the movement through the actuator rod hole. They also may be inadvertantly depressed so the usual mode should be with the pushers screwed down and locked unless in use.

Attachment 23225
Rolexes have always been viewed as the intersection of functionality, survivability, and luxury. That's why I've found it so important to understand the water resistance of watches and what they mean. (waterproof isn't even a term that companies can use anymore). You don't really know how water resistant a watch is based off the depth listed, so it's best to do additional research. I used this article to determine how careful I had to be with my YachtMaster : https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...aterproof.html

"Perhaps more than anything else, the unassailable reputation of Rolex watches rests on their ability to withstand the extremes. The brand’s products have truly been to the highest, lowest, hottest, and coldest places on Earth, handling with ease the most hostile environments the planet can offer."
SherryHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote