View Single Post
Old 15 October 2020, 09:22 PM   #38
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
Let me explain. Yes, the fit and finish is good on the Speedy, almost comparable to Rolex, but Rolex has the advantage in craftsmanship, detail, and innovation. For example, first day I wore the speedy to work, I noticed that I could hear it ticking from my wrist when I'm on the keyboard. I don't remember my Rolex doing that and I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the watch. Not a big deal to me but a little surprising on a $5k watch.

Next is the bracelet. Comparing to the oyster bracelet with easy link, the Omega really falls short. The design is nice but there is no taper at the clasp so it feels and looks bulky. The clasp has 2 useless micro adjustments and with no option of half link your only option is to purchase a gigantic adjustable clasp for close to $400 (paid $385 at OB). The clasp is so heavy and bulky it throws off the balance of the bracelet but I have no choice because this is the only way for me to get it to fit my wrist. This is probably my one and only complaint about the Speedmaster. The Rolex Oyster bracelet on the other hand is a joy to wear. It tapers nicely from 20 to 16mm, and there's 3 micro adjustment points with easy link feature for further adjustments. And you get this even on the $5900 Oyster Perpetuals.

There's no denying that the Speedmaster looks cool as hell. That's the reason why I bought it and I love the fact that they kept it vintage looking with the steel bezel, hesalite, and the old school dial. But to me details matter and IMO Rolex wins this round too. Comparing the dial of the Speedy to the Daytona for example, there's way more detail in the Rolex. All the indices and hands used are of higher quality and the bezel markings are etched and not printed on. If you hold them in each hand you will be able to see the difference pretty quick.

So yes, there is nothing wrong with the fit and finish of the Speedmaster, but if you handed me a Daytona and Speedy and I knew nothing about watches, I'd guess the Daytona is the higher quality watch. Do I hate the Speedy then? Not at all, in fact quite the opposite. It's getting the most wrist time right now, I've been wearing it for 2 weeks straight and it's refreshing to take a break from Rolex. The speedy is a wonderful watch for its price point and that's why I bought it. And to get back to the OP's point of this thread, yes, you should definitely buy one!
Agree with the bracelet comments. Omega falls short on their bracelets. The Speedy bracelet in particular is a problem due to the lack of on the fly adjustment, only two micro adjustments, no half links, lack of taper, and just generally does not wear as comfortably as a Rolex bracelet.

I moved up to a coaxial Speedmaster and the bracelet is improved in the sense that it has the micro adjustment clasp that allows three position on-the-fly adjustment, and comes with two half links. Makes it much easier to size correctly which has always been a problem with the Moonwatch. Having said that, it still in nowhere near as comfortable as my Rolex bracelets. Rolex isn't perfect but their bracelets are really fantastic, both in comfort and appearance. My Speedy bracelet has sharp edges to it and you can really tell on the wrist. It's a very good bracelet, but could be better.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote