View Single Post
Old 27 November 2020, 02:13 PM   #14
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I edited my post to add a few more price estimates and links.

If you think can get decent parts for those prices, then ok. And maybe you have done your research. But I tend to think you're too light on the prices for dial and movement. My guess is that you will need to pay at least $2k for a ticking movement (which may need repairs), and a bare minimum of $2k for a crappy matte dial, but probably closer to $3k for the dial. $1k is probably too little for an insert, but the bezel will probably be less than $1.5k, so you're not too far off on that combination IMO.

I'd still be really surprised if you end up putting anything decent together for less than $11k without a bracelet, including watchmaker costs, or $12k-13k with bracelet. And I'm not expecting it's going to be a top-notch example.

Even at your prices (which I think are too low), if you include the crystal, crown, and watchmaker costs, you are close to $9k, without a bracelet. And that's with absolutely no margin for error. And you will need a bracelet, which is going to cost you at least $1,500.

I haven't done extensive research on current pricing, so I could be wrong, but make sure you're really confident in your research before you get in too deep. Use realistic prices, not the cheapest outlier prices you've ever seen.
thanks, I will do more research.
The 1530 price is key here, either on its own or from an air king - prices are lower lately.
That and the dial if I can get lucky will make or break it...something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rol...-/274427090981
If it goes south I can always sell the parts and lick my wounds while wearing my GMT.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote