Thread: Help me Decide
View Single Post
Old 28 December 2020, 12:39 AM   #25
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I'm in agreement with you that, over time, the 5170P will get a lot of love from collectors and will gradually climb. I can't advise on prices in the USA, but I will advise on my on personal philosophy which is, "it's so much money, it needs to be perfect"

What I mean by that is, if you're spending $80,000 on a watch (which, in the real world is utterly ridiculous), you're at the level where a few thousand bucks either way doesn't normally make any difference. So if you can buy an unworn one, and it costs a bit more, do it. At least then you have ZERO worries about condition, scratches on case, wear on strap etc.
The one that's been pictured looks a little marked no? Or do my eyes deceive me? Of course, after inspection, if it's perfect, then go ahead... I do not think the Platona (which is a beautifully designed watch, like most Rolexes) is comparable.

Good luck on 5370! Let us know if you secure one!
Could not agree with you more. You are right in that there are marks on it (which was the reason why I originally passed on it back in September). I worry that if I pass on this one I may miss my opportunity, but also I know those scratches will bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
BTW I wouldn't bet on the Platona not going up. Prices have been increasing a lot recently........its trading above retail already and if it gets discontinued (?) at some point it may go up further still.
I would be quite surprised if it moved much more, but then again who would have thought they'd be trading at list price a few years ago when they could be easily had in the 50s. Never say never, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I will probably skip the 5170p if my AD is going to deliver the 5370p in the near future. I do love the 5170p but the 5370p is on a different level, and I don't think I will wear the 5170p much if I have the blue 5370p in my watchbox.

I will add the 5270p, which is quite different from the watches in your current collection and 5370p. I think a PCC is so Patek, from a historical and brand perspective.
I think this is sound advice. Though it would be nice to open up the watchbox and see both sitting side-by-side

I passed on the 5270p back in February and still kicking myself; however, if I had to choose between the 5270 and 5370 I would reach for the 5370 every day. I know it would get much more wrist time. Maybe it best to secure a mint condition/unworn 5170p, and if I am then allocated a 5370p I can choose to offload the 5170p if I so choose.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote