View Single Post
Old 31 December 2020, 01:34 AM   #7
Bmarsh1605
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You may be OK with custom aftermarket work today but you may want to consider the consequences. Some may not matter to you today but could later.

For example, Rolex will not work on it at their Service Center unless you pay to replace the custom items. Costly.

Be aware that you are choosing a vintage watch at least 40 years old. The case should have a serial number that the seller did not disclose, nor picture to determine if it’s 40 or 50 years old. The case lugs have been polished significantly as the ones on the crown side seem to have springbar pins proud of the lug holes (poking out shows that significant work has been done).

The watch likely has an aftermarket crystal (because the seller takes pain to note the word Rolex on other parts but is silent on that part). It may function differently in terms of watertightness. Seller doesn’t seem to guarantee this point but could matter later. The watch may fail a pressure test.

You are looking at a non-quickset movement. Tedious changing the date at the end of any month with less than 31 days. It may not be the one this watch came with - that isn’t pictured so you have no idea of it’s condition. Also the inner caseback or midcase could be pitted (further compromising water tightness)

The datewheel may have been swapped for an aftermarket one. Lord only knows how many non-Rolex parts are in the movement.
(like barrel, mainspring, hairspring, crown/stem and other items replaced on old movements with aftermarket part’s due to watchmaker not having access to genuine ones)

All I can say is the allure of low price fades quickly in the face of future problems that could be costly.

I could go on but I hope you see there is no shortcut - sharing this in the spirit of communication and hopefully avoiding future remorse.

Maybe consider a newer DJ with stick hour markers, or if Vintage is your goal, then reach out to the trusted dealers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you very much for your quick and thorough response. May not have been the answer I wanted to hear but the answer I certainly needed to hear! I figured the price tag seemed a little bit low and that the company almost seemed a little bit evasive with certain information during my correspondence with them. I certainly don’t want to run into any issues right off the bat or get myself into some trouble with costly repairs down the road. I agree it is likely a better idea to go with a more reputable seller/newer watch. I will definitely browse the classifieds on this post forum and read reviews on the different sellers. I have one other stainless datejust with quickset and a slate gray dial with black stick markers I’m looking at on Becker time. It definitely looks to be a step up from the one on eBay. Sku# 16014B11MT
Bmarsh1605 is offline   Reply With Quote