View Single Post
Old 30 January 2021, 02:49 AM   #372
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am not a watchmaker, and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night (American TV commercial joke for those of you out of the US) but one thing I just can’t understand.

If, and I am not doubting your assessment, if, all this issue is caused by a single part wearing out excessively fast, why couldn’t Rolex solve the problem by replacing it with a more robust part? Or modifying the part it connects with to offer less resistance/friction/wear? I realize there are microscopic and extremely complicated interactions between all the parts in an automatic watch, and it may not be THAT simple, (just make the part out of a higher grade metal) but Rolex has been in business for 100 years making fine timepieces, I am sure if they identified the problem as this one part, WHY can’t they come up with a permanent solution?
Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not a watchmaker either, and this is entirely speculation on my part, so take it with a pinch of salt(!), but perhaps the underlying design means that this part wears far quicker than it should, and replacement with a part made of anything will still result in wear, or at least still generate enough friction over time to slow the watch once lubricants start to be consumed. I'm not saying I'm right at all, but if it's a slight design issue, then that would go some way to explaining why a permanent fix hasn't been found in 5 or 6 years.

As I say, I'm just surmising here with regards to reasons, and all I can say with absolute certainty is that my SD43 definitely has a real and quantifiable issue.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote