View Single Post
Old 30 January 2021, 03:44 AM   #378
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I do not follow this route trying to understand what is wrong inside this movement.

Even if YOU or WE find out what is wrong, what do you do next?
You will give Rolex a call and tell them what you/we found and what they should do?

Do you really think they did not do anything? Far off!
They know the problem and probably solved it, but they don't let anybody know.

The better way is to diagnose what is the situation of your caliber 32xx (you did that already, me too, a few others as well) and find out who else has these problems, in 2021!

Doing so, it is utmost important to see which watches are affected.

Watches sold in 2015-2018 only, or also watches sold in 2019-2021.
You get my points?
We all have different perspectives and I'm not suggesting that most would be pacified with this information, but I will try to explain my logic. First off, my background with mechanical things is making cars go fast. In that world nobody expects every part from the OEM to be perfect. A particular motor might have a strong cylinder block and crankshaft, but weak pistons. So, we replace the pistons with better ones. But if the motor was just a black box and we treated the failure as simply "bad motor" then how can we ever move forward and improve it? Where the OEMs fail to deliver, the aftermarket and the custom builders step in. So let's jump back to the watch world. Let's say we could eventually come to an understanding that the real problem with the movement is a slightly oversized pivot on one particular wheel. But for whatever reason, Rolex just can't be bothered to produce a replacement in a smaller size. Well, I could seek out a watchmaker who could take my brand new movement, before it chews itself up, and machine that one piece. Or maybe a company would step in and make a drop-in replacement wheel that is the correct size. It probably sounds like a pipe dream in the watch world, but these are the types of feedback loops I am used to. If a part isn't good enough, somebody makes one that's better. If there's demand, the market will step up.

Now on the other hand, if this is some fundament design issue (which again seems hard to grasp, but I'm not a watchmaker) then yeah, all bets are off. Time to just trade the watches for ones with different movements and be done with it. The chances seem slim that Rolex is going to be sending out completely redesigned gear trains and bridges and converting our "v1" 32xx to "v2". But Rolex itself would have to be on a crash course with its own destruction if this is really what was required. I'll wager by the end of this year, every professional watch they make other than the Daytona and Milgaus will have a 32xx movement. It's almost unthinkable that they'd let a cancer spread through their entire line, so I have to assume we're dealing with more of a rash than a melanoma. And thus, having an actual doctor's diagnosis would sure be nice.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote