View Single Post
Old 2 February 2021, 11:26 PM   #32
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
congratulations!

yes, the Re-Edition is as close to the vintage original as technically possible - case dimensions are absolutely precise, as is the reproduction of dial, hands or crystal, the lume replicates the tone & texture of the Radium originally used in the 1950s, it is hand applied, just as it was then.

the only difference that is externally visible are the slightly longer pushers, the B09 caliber requires ca. 0.7mm more "travel" to activate the chronograph functions.

here are some vintage "Lucy" from April 1953 to late 1961

as you may hear from other watch collectors that your Breitling looks "just like a Breguet TypeXX", here's the timeline (and the reason why this Copilot got the Lucy nickname, it was years ahead, defining a design many others copied).

1953: mass production of the ref. 765AVI "Lucy" begins in April, both analog and digital minute counter versions are launched. "PreGeneve" for the April batch, "Geneve"-branded for the November 1953 and later batches, as Breitling only moved to Geneva in summer 1953

1954: Breguet (and Vixa/Auricoste) are awarded the contract for deliveries of the Type20 chronographs for the French Armée de l'Air - the Breguet version was manufactured by Mathey Tissot in Switzerland, as you can see below it has no similarities whatsoever to the Breitling (or what now for many is considered the “typical” TypeXX design ��)

1959: (some claim mass production only started in 1960/61, needs more research) launch of the TypeXX Aeronavale, again manufactured by Mathey Tissot, branded Breguet and, for a small batch, Girard Perregaux

so no, the 765AVI Copilot does NOT “look like a Breguet”, but admittedly Mathey Tissot and/or Breguet were clearly “inspired” by the Breitling design for a model launched 6 or 7 years later

Thank you sir!

Your knowledgeable reply is kindly appreciated!
Since I already follow you, I knew everything about Lucy (from you).
You have made terrific job with the re editions.
So when the opportunity arose, I bought her in a heartbeat.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote