View Single Post
Old 3 February 2021, 06:14 AM   #147
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I commend you for trying to resolve the issues encountered here on the forum.
Sincere thank you.

Everything I can think of that has been used in the evolution of security has been compromised. We have now come to a new milestone, our personal cell phone number. I am concerned as our cell phone number becomes the it thing for security, (remember when it was your social security number/ mother’s maiden name / dogs name/ first girlfriend or car or mortgage etc) all of them have become unreliable forms of authentication by themselves. I am also very concerned that there is just as much of a security risk giving access to your 24/7 movements through the user data accessible by tracking our cell phones to third party apps in the business of selling our data.

I could go on and rant and rave but surely the guys with the butterfly nets will eventually have to take me away.

Ps Recently I was going to purchase a watch bracelet ~$400. I had entered all of my personal info along with credit card info...then a new to me step was introduced for an online purchase. I was being required to enter my cell phone number and receive a verification pin number to include to finalize purchase. I did not complete the purchase.

I receive several sales calls a day, many not in my language. It is to the point I don’t want to answer my own phone. My purchase of an inanimate object is not an invitation for a personal relationship from the seller or those strangers my information is sold to.

I know it is too little too late on the privacy front to reign this crap back in but for me the cell phone is just going too far. The cell phone is essential for my current job, I can’t leave the house without it. I am not trying to take countless strangers interested in marketing me as a product with me when I go for a walk.

Again Steve thank you for your efforts, certainly the new standard for security has become 2fa and you are keeping up with the standards. I am genuinely concerned about the vastness of privacy and security we are losing as tech evolves... each side chasing improvements in security while marketing is exploiting each and every intrusion and hackers dreaming of ways to go deeper.

I guess I did rant.... knock at the door appears to be the guys with nets, gotta go.