View Single Post
Old 3 March 2021, 09:59 PM   #38
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moka-Tiger View Post
Thierry can do what he wants and make what he wants. It's his choice. But, just because he makes what HE wants to sell, doesn't necessarily mean that those watches are what CONSUMERS want. Thierry can discontinue the 5711 and make as many fancy complications and PM watches as he wants. He can admire them adorning the ADs and boutiques. And at the same time see them collect dust. If these types of watches are not what is in demand in the current market, does he expect people to buy them because that is what he wants PP to sell?

PP has sat on its laurels for years making PM complications, while the market went in another direction. While Thierry doesn't like the idea that PP has become a "one watch brand", there is not much he can do about it now. In my opinion, he should milk the 5711 and derivatives as much as he can, in a way that advances the brand while tweaking the watch range in tune to the market.

I too, like others, used to admire PP much more. Having a PP on my wrist felt special, so I collected 4. Then one day, I came out of the PP cloud and realized that PM complications, like other brands' complications, are regarded as ugly ducklings in today's market. I sold all but the 5711, but of course! It's really sad that all PP watches used to hold up their value on the secondary market because they were Pateks. But that is no longer the case and speaks for the current state of the brand.

So, it will be interesting to see what Thiery and PP does going forward.

A genuinely refreshing view.