View Single Post
Old 9 April 2021, 11:55 PM   #12
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the great advice. I would like to get a birth year watch at some point, but it's not a super high priority. If I get one, it will be worn like all my watches. Not an investor either, but it would be nice to buy it right.

You folks are great. I learned a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
In order to give you good advice, it would be really good to have all the information. So for example, it wasn't mentioned that the bezel insert was replaced. What about the hands? Also, I'm confused about the "A serial" comment. Is the case original? Case-back? The lugs look a little unusual for a 1966 watch in the angle shown in the photo. Can you show more photos?

It is possible to put an approximate value on this type of watch with service dial/insert by comparing with eBay sales. Roughly speaking, I have been seeing them sell for 40-50% less than an original example. Just my own observations and opinion. My gut feeling is that it's a little high at $11k, but I'd really want to make sure everything is legit before paying any amount of money. I'm sure the seller is totally honest, but he may not know the full history.

Also, as mentioned above, even if you could get it for $8k, that's still real money, and there are a lot of nice watches you can get for that amount. So you need to ask yourself what you are looking for. If you want a functional Sub to wear with a vintage look, and you don't mind paying that price, then this watch would work for you. If you're interested in something collectible, then this is not the watch. Finally, if you think there is any possibility at all that you might want to sell it in the future, you should let it go IMO. This would not be a fun watch to sell.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote