View Single Post
Old 12 April 2021, 05:41 PM   #61
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree.

The closer I look, the more I struggle to see why one would pursue any relationship with a Patek Philippe AD in the first place (yes, I know- this makes my original question moot). Perhaps 5-6 years ago it made sense, but today, I do wonder- the prices on everything they have in the showcase has at least a $10K instant depreciation, and for other models, even higher. By the time you've spent enough cash on timepieces (let's say, what, 10-12 pieces?) you could have taken your losses and bought the Nautilus you've always wanted.
That is actually a really good post that uses good, old, solid economics to help people decide. If you really love Patek and many of their watches it makes sense to build a relationship with an AD in hopes of scoring a hot piece (then again - nobody says a trend for SS sport watches will not turn in 5-10-15 years and Nautilus will still be displayed freely in a display case).

But if you are only after that one 5711, 5712, or other hot piece (and you plan on wearing it no matter the value and market perception) - it is probably wiser to just take the hit and buy one on the grey market.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote