View Single Post
Old 13 May 2021, 09:51 AM   #272
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeface View Post
Took the time, sporadically over two days, to read this post along with the previous one about your initial purchase. Quite the story and terrific outcome!

My first Rolex, purchased new in 1999, was an A-series “Swiss”-only Submariner. Always enjoyed the uniqueness of that dial. Bought a no-date Sub of the same vintage a few years ago. Most write off the Swiss-only dial as a service dial, as yours is, but they’re still special IMO. And there are Subs that, like mine, are original issue. Haven’t read of an original issue red 1680 Sub Swiss-only dial. And that 1999-2000 era was short for the Swiss Sub dials.

Recently I acquired red 1680 Sub that is in great condition. Had a choice of two - one with lume and dial issues and then there was the one I took home. After reading of your red Sub adventures, I wonder if I should have followed your path to another Swiss dial! Your research and perseverance certainly paid off with a keeper. Congrats!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I see all this and try to make it fit with the advise I got when considering a 1655 with all Rolex parts, but most were service (dial, bezel, crown). Was advised against as value doesn’t rise like original, yet everyone on here is raving about this piece.

While I love this red line sub and the service updated 1655, what does their future hold as collectibles?

Won’t they all have to eventually be updated? I mean, won’t the radium or tritium just fall out of the hands or off the lume plots and cause damage to the movement eventually? Aren’t these watches to be worn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. These watches are meant to be worn. The dial on my watch was in bad shape and I love that the RSC was able to make it look like new with a new factory dial and service. It looks like it did the day it was purchased. Vintage aesthetic with modern lume. Perfect for me.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote