View Single Post
Old 17 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #49
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
You can truly never appreciate a Patek I own a 5167a and a 5711 until you hold one and wear one on your wrist. The attention to details and the craftsmanship are what makes them so special. I own multiple brands Rolex sport models, AP's, Omegas etc and my Pateks models are my two favorites. Example I wear my 5167a more than my 116500ln Daytona.
Hmmm, that's the problem is you're comparing a modern PP to lower-level decorated brands. PP is on par with Breguet and other upper-end 'mass-produced' brands, yet for many years (decades?) Patek has fallen to upper-tier instead of top-tier like FP Journe and other smaller true independents. Patek is also lagging in creativity as they have no new truly innovatiotive movements.

And yes, I've had quite a few PPs over the decades. IMHO if you want true Patek Philippe quality you'll have to spend at least $350k minimum (non-bling model) or seek our highly-complicated models pre-1990.

jmho and check out what other truly creative brands are doing. Rolex powned the annual calendar movement sector with innovation in setting via the bezel. They successfully removed the old-school side-pushers to set the day/date/etc that also hinder higher water resistance spec.

FP Journe needs no introduction, yet in a sense that is what PP could have been if they had a true visionary at the head of decision-making. Many years ago the original releases from Roger Dubuis, for example, were spectacular and supersedes Patek in quality.

It is sad to see the shell of what was once a true innovator (Patek) and leader of craftmenship in the early 1900s to mid-1950s fall to a more middling comfort zone years later and stagnate there. Sure PP offers some incredible pieces, yet they're obviously not the ones you would generally find in stores (reguardless of today's high demand where virtually any decent manufacturer can succeed). So they have the ability to some extent with movement decoration quality, yet they simply choose not to offer it within all models. ALS is a good example here that is surpassing Patek.

i do very much look forward to the day Patek Philippe gets some proper leadership who has vision and experience /daring to make it happen. Someone who has the ability the bring inspiration to watchmakers.

For now, many of us who desire true creativity and the highest of craftsmanship have moved on elsewhere.

PS: i've heard rumors that more watchmakers who desire to create the finest timepieces may have migrated to other brands too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote