View Single Post
Old 20 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko SBGX339 LE Diver

I got this one purely to review, because I've been itching to get my hands on a watch from the 9F collection, as well as one of Grand Seiko's sports watches. This watch checks both those boxes, and then some.

Thoughts:
  • I have narrow wrists (6.5") so I was very worried about what appears to be a pretty large sized case. But the 43mm diameter is reigned in well by the 49.75mm lug-to-lug width and the 13mm height is actually pretty reasonable. The weight (195g) is heavy, but you get used to it in a day or two.
  • I love the fact that the case sides are brushed and not polished, and I sometimes wish the Rolex Submariner and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms did this too. There is enough bedazzling with the Zaratsu polished lugs and bevels, so it doesn't look very utilitarian either.
  • The case-back is flat and sits almost flush with the mid-case/lugs, so it is well balanced and comfortable on the wrist.
  • Lume is brilliant, and I included a timelapse with the Rolex Submariner and Tudor Black Bay (ETA).
  • Dial design is primarily inspired by the Rolex Turn-o-Graph and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Tournek Rayville) layout - triangle at 12, rectangles for cardinals, circles for the rest, large multisegment hour hand, circle element seconds hand. But GS puts their own design elements into the hands, and does a a brilliant job on the finishing.
  • The yellow chapter ring makes the indices appear gold, which I think is incredible. I have to believe this was intentional.
  • There is a sense of worry-free operation that goes with wearing a HAQ and I enjoyed it. This watch hasn't gained or lost a second since it arrived 3-4 weeks ago.
  • This is one of the few Grand Seiko bracelet/clasps that I can appreciate. The clasp is MM300-esque, has a ratcheting extension as well as microadjustments. I was able to dial in a pretty good fit at all times. With a watch as heavy/bulky as this, I think a perfect fitting bracelet is absolutely critical, otherwise you'll notice wrist fatigue.

Review video - https://youtu.be/vfyvgKj3TvI

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote