View Single Post
Old 21 July 2021, 10:11 AM   #63
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
I think liking any brand has nothing to do with being a collector. This is a hobby. To actually be a hobbyist you have gone a hell of a lot deeper than just aesthetics. I think it would be exceedingly difficult to be a collector, I mean to be fully immersed in the hobby, without appreciating what Patek is and has made. In the same way that I don’t like a Rolex has a cooperate entity, I don’t really appreciate them as a piece of horology, but I know what they’ve accomplished as a brand and what they’ve done for the rest of the watch industry. Whether I appreciate the aesthetics and the feel on wrist is another thing.

I often find myself saying the same thing about art. I feel like I can’t be considered a proper educated gentleman because I hate Renaissance art (there are number of other reasons I might not be a gentleman but let’s not get into that). I took a semester in college to live in the Netherlands and studied art restoration. I also took another semester to live in Germany and then travel Italy and France for two months. I have seen almost every museum in Europe twice. I just had my fill of the Renaissance. I finally realized that I can still be a sophisticated person while hating Renaissance art as long as I appreciated it and appreciated what that time period did for human history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote