View Single Post
Old 17 September 2021, 06:35 AM   #59
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
That VC is just....God....I bet it feels like butter on the wrist, doesn't it?

It’s an awesome watch to be sure, with a truly beautiful movement and case, but with a bezel that’s not easy to get truly used to. Wears very close to a Datejust in terms of feel, but obviously with a much finer degree of subtlety. Did like it a lot, but it’s still one of the few watches that didn’t stay in the collection, as I could not justify that amount of money for what, in the end, wants to do a job any steel Rolex is better suited for.

It’s like having a Rolls Royce Cullinan. It’s big and blunt, less refined than its siblings, because it can go off-road. But given the fact that it’s still put together with as much painstaking dedication as it’s siblings, should you really take it off-road? The guy who hand paints that pinstripe down the side spent his whole adult life learning how to do that. Are you really going to scratch it up in the brush? If only out of respect for the work it represents, I sure wouldn’t. And for the same reason, I always felt a bit stupid taking the Overseas out on the mountain (even if it looks great in pictures). So the concept it is built around really doesn’t quite exist in reality, the way in which you CAN use it, is not a way in which - I feel - you SHOULD use it. Ultimately, that did impede a lot on my wearing enjoyment and I started looking for something more coherent.

Changed it up into a Lange 1, which is fully in tune with its delicate nature, not an attempt to infuse high watchmaking into the realm of robust steel beaters, like the Overseas. The Lange is a festival of fine craftsmanship from the beginning to the end, and much more to my liking in that regard.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote